Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Anonymous
2012-11-05T02:40:10+00:00

My current username in Windows 8 is Danny.  The directory of my user folder is C:\Users\danch_000 .  This is annoying and driving me crazy.  I should also tell you this user is tied to my Microsoft Account.  On my Microsoft Account my Name is Danny.  How can I change the name of the folder without messing anything up in he registry or any other part of the computer.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-11-09T14:33:16+00:00

Ok dude... this is a hassle but it does work.

Summary:

You need to log in on a local admin account (create one if it does not exist already), delete your user account (Danny) and then rename the danch_000 folder to danny.old (I do this only so that you do not lose any data you may have already saved here. it is just a backup folder now)

then Create a new LOCAL user called Danny. Log into this user account and all the files will be under C:\Users\Danny.

Now you must go to pc settings and choose switch to Microsoft account.

Once the process is finished, you are using a Microsoft Live account, with the 'User' Displayed as your full name, but all the files are in a directory named 'Danny'

If this is too summarized for you and you need detailed instructions just post here and tell me, I am in the process of creating a guide for just this issue for my coworkers

Yrs Red

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-03-02T14:48:07+00:00

    Worked perfectly! Can't thank you enough!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-02-09T17:29:49+00:00

    This is 100% the best route to take - just wanted to login and register my thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-01-13T12:31:52+00:00

    Red,

    Thanks.  This worked for me too.  I had the same issue as Danny with Windows 8.1.  I'm certain my wife didn't have this issue with her new Windows 8 laptop two years ago, but maybe we started with a local account and changed to an MS account later.

    Gary

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-05T16:01:46+00:00

    Thank you.  This worked perfectly.  I had the same issue as Danny.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments