White screen after booting to the desktop

Anonymous
2012-10-06T15:57:02+00:00

Original Title: Windows 7 white screen after desktop boot.

When windows boots my desktop appears for 5 seconds and then the screen turns white. I cannot do anythng from there except reboot the computer.  When I do that, the white screen closes and I see my desktop again, but that also closes and the sytem reboots to the same issue.   It seems like something is loading right after my desktop that isnt responding....I cannot seem to access my desktop to see what is starting up...... Any thoughts on how I can correct this, other than a system restore?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-04-13T18:45:16+00:00

i have  a  solution

First of all White Screen causes most exe files like Spyware or viruses the best way to fix it is to boot

on a winpe CD or DVD from winpe searching the malware that loads at Startup

if you dont know which file is it try to start taskmanager at logon

to do this go to system32 and then make a copy of cmd.exe and rename the copy sethc.exe and replace the current sethc after this reboot let it Login normally and then Switch user by pressing a win +l and then hit shift 5 times then a command prompt should appears then type taskmgr.exe then find the process and kill it and remove it via msconfig or winpe sorry for my bad englisch

Was this answer helpful?

80+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-10-07T07:26:01+00:00

Hi,

1.       Do you receive any error message?

2.       Have you made any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

There is a possibility that some third party programs installed on the computer is causing the issue.

Method 1:

Step 1:

You may try to boot the computer in safe mode. Refer the following link.

**** Start your computer in safe mode

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Step 2:

If this issue doesn’t occur in safe mode then you may perform a clean boot. Refer the following article.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

NOTE: Once you are done with clean boot, please follow step 7 in the article to set your computer back to normal startup.

Method 2:

You may try to perform SFC (System File Checker) scan on your computer and check. Refer the following article.

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Method 3:

I would also suggest you to scan your computer with Microsoft Safety Scanner, which would help us to get rid of viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.

Note: Any data that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the entire data, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Hope it helps.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-04-22T13:12:31+00:00

    Same problem, started today. If I log on as another user, screen is fine. Going back to original user, the problem was still there. I found a solution on sevenforums that suggested restarting Windows Explorer, but when I restarted the computer then logged on to the original user again, the problem had resolved so I don't know if it works, but it makes sense. (original user had restarted several times with no resolution)

    Good Luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-04-21T20:28:35+00:00

    This white screen nasty started in my Win 7 laptop yesterday.  It is immune to safe mode.  I have followed all the fixes described; safe mode, Securty Essentials from the command prompt, MSmalware removal, config fix, turning off all non essential programs.. this virus is unphased.  It appears the only fix will be backing up my user data, repartition and start again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-04-14T15:14:31+00:00

    Windows7 Team,

    I've The same problem as described in this thread. I tried Safe mode/ Safe Mode with N/wing all are of having same issue. I couldn't do any thing as n startup the monitor goes to blank white screen with only cursor showing :(.

     Can you please tell me how to be recovered from this problem. Is there any otherway to start Windows7 Without any startup programs be running.?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments