Error code 641 and code 80070641?

Anonymous
2012-05-23T15:10:07+00:00

When attempting to download updates I get an error message that indicates code 641 and code 80070641?  What does this mean?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-06-01T18:16:21+00:00

Hi,

   I use Vista Business Service Pack 2.  I also use System Mechanic Pro for registry cleaning and other repairs.  Sorry, not sure which green button I needed to unmark-can you let me know?

 

Thanks!

The very topmost one.  Assuming you had marked Answer before, then click the UNMARK green icon to clear it (first).

Windows update exception code 0x00000641 / 0x80070641 usually indicates an issue with the Windows Installer service.

Sometimes it is due to a difficulty in accessing it; sometimes it means it's missing, or inactive (disabled) for some reason.

If you have used Iolo System Mechanic for automated (auto-fix) runs, and have these exception codes, the cause is an overagressive fix by this app.

First suggestion is to Undo recent fixes by S M, then insure it's not set to autorun or autofix.

Do NOT keep using System Mechanic until there is a permanent fix from Iolo.

Contact Iolo support (iolo.com)

and demand a permanent fix.

System Mechanic "registry cleaning" has put a double whammy on your system in having removed two registry keys.

The following will put things back in order for the registry {at least for the Installer service}, so that you can then proceed to redo Windows Update.

This are for VISTA systems <<<---

Download this file from Ramesh S http://www.winhelponline.com/fileasso/regfix\_vista.zip

Save it to your DESKTOP.

EXtract the contents to your DESKTOP.

go to Start, type in

REGEDIT and press Enter-key

from main menu, select File

then select IMPORT

navigate the dialog (click on DESKTOP icon on left to select it)

type in regfix_vista.reg in the Filename text-box and click Open button.

Once the merge is complete, you will see a confirmation message.

Click OK when done.

Next, get this second registry-fix

Download and SAVE to your system (to the Desktop or a unique folder) the following registry-fix file

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/win-services/vista/msiserver.reg

Do a RIGHT-Click on msiserver.reg file and select MERGE

Allow it to merge into the registry.

If prompted by UAC User Account Control, allow to proceed.

IF and only if, the Merge option is not available, then double-click on the file and allow it to merge into the registry.

IF and ".reg" file pops up in REGEDIT, when prompted whether to Merge answer Yes.

When done with the two registry fixes, Exit / close REGEDIT.

then Logoff and Restart Windows fresh.

Now, retry Windows Update in a new run.

Just only do a Custom scan.

select just the Critical or Important updates. (un-select any optional ones).

Let me know if this helps. and if so, kindly click the green YES (Helpful) icon to the left.

If this solves your issue, kindly click on green MARK It icon on the right.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-06-17T19:38:08+00:00

    Do I perform these steps to fix my windows update installer service?

    And I have used iolo for System mechanic and to clean up registry files before, but now my subscription has expired and i uninstalled it.  How do I proceed for a permantely fix?

    See my reply that is marked Answer on Page 1 of this thread.

    Do the 2 registry fixes that are listed.

    ~ Maurice

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-06-17T19:15:54+00:00

    This solution was forwarded to me.  It worked perfectly.  I am very grateful for this easy fix for my 3 Vista computers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-06-17T18:37:57+00:00

    Do I perform these steps to fix my windows update installer service?

    And I have used iolo for System mechanic and to clean up registry files before, but now my subscription has expired and i uninstalled it.  How do I proceed for a permantely fix?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-06-11T17:24:32+00:00

    @ N Laird,

    I would suggest you create a new Question-thread of your own, and provide all your details, like Windows version, list of failed KB updates, etc

    What information to post in the Windows Update forum

         http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/1467f44b-ee27-4f7d-98d7-f1c4b35b3395

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments