Error code 641 and code 80070641?

Anonymous
2012-05-23T15:10:07+00:00

When attempting to download updates I get an error message that indicates code 641 and code 80070641?  What does this mean?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-06-01T18:16:21+00:00

Hi,

   I use Vista Business Service Pack 2.  I also use System Mechanic Pro for registry cleaning and other repairs.  Sorry, not sure which green button I needed to unmark-can you let me know?

 

Thanks!

The very topmost one.  Assuming you had marked Answer before, then click the UNMARK green icon to clear it (first).

Windows update exception code 0x00000641 / 0x80070641 usually indicates an issue with the Windows Installer service.

Sometimes it is due to a difficulty in accessing it; sometimes it means it's missing, or inactive (disabled) for some reason.

If you have used Iolo System Mechanic for automated (auto-fix) runs, and have these exception codes, the cause is an overagressive fix by this app.

First suggestion is to Undo recent fixes by S M, then insure it's not set to autorun or autofix.

Do NOT keep using System Mechanic until there is a permanent fix from Iolo.

Contact Iolo support (iolo.com)

and demand a permanent fix.

System Mechanic "registry cleaning" has put a double whammy on your system in having removed two registry keys.

The following will put things back in order for the registry {at least for the Installer service}, so that you can then proceed to redo Windows Update.

This are for VISTA systems <<<---

Download this file from Ramesh S http://www.winhelponline.com/fileasso/regfix\_vista.zip

Save it to your DESKTOP.

EXtract the contents to your DESKTOP.

go to Start, type in

REGEDIT and press Enter-key

from main menu, select File

then select IMPORT

navigate the dialog (click on DESKTOP icon on left to select it)

type in regfix_vista.reg in the Filename text-box and click Open button.

Once the merge is complete, you will see a confirmation message.

Click OK when done.

Next, get this second registry-fix

Download and SAVE to your system (to the Desktop or a unique folder) the following registry-fix file

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/win-services/vista/msiserver.reg

Do a RIGHT-Click on msiserver.reg file and select MERGE

Allow it to merge into the registry.

If prompted by UAC User Account Control, allow to proceed.

IF and only if, the Merge option is not available, then double-click on the file and allow it to merge into the registry.

IF and ".reg" file pops up in REGEDIT, when prompted whether to Merge answer Yes.

When done with the two registry fixes, Exit / close REGEDIT.

then Logoff and Restart Windows fresh.

Now, retry Windows Update in a new run.

Just only do a Custom scan.

select just the Critical or Important updates. (un-select any optional ones).

Let me know if this helps. and if so, kindly click the green YES (Helpful) icon to the left.

If this solves your issue, kindly click on green MARK It icon on the right.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-06-05T15:10:43+00:00

    John,

    If you're on Windows 7 or Vista, you need to get an elevated (privilege) command prompt.

    Windows- key >> type in cmd >> have your mouse highlighting on cmd.exe 

    press the Ctrl+Shift+Enter keyboard combination and cmd.exe will be launched as if you selected Run as Administrator. You will then see a User Account Control prompt asking if you would like to allow the Command Prompt to be able to make changes on your computer. Click on the Yes button and you will now be at the Elevated Command Prompt.

    Now you can do the net stop  .....etc

    Thanks for the info on SM update & version

    btw, all replies here are to the online MS Answers forum.  It only just happens that one gets a email notice of replies.  {also, btw, the emails take a long time to reach one.  You'd be surprised that if you check the forum online, you can catch the latest faster.}

    ~ Maurice

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-06-04T20:43:35+00:00

    For Maurice N,  Thank you for your reply via email dated 6/3/2012 to my latest report.  For some reason neither my message nor your response are showing up on this thread.

    I don't have a link to System Mechanic.  I set up my subscription to disable automatic downloads and received a request from Iolo, I believe on June 2, to permit a download of a System Mechanic update.  I gulped and accepted it.  My version now is 10.8.5.0 which I hope identifies this latest update.

    I appreciate your instructions on how to flush the Windows....\download folder.  However, I am blocked at the very beginning.  When I type in "net stop wuauserv" and hit the Enter-key, I receive the message "System error 5 has occurred.  Access is denied."

    This is my personal computer and I have from the beginning had full adminstrator access.

    Thanks for your patience with me.

    John Gunning

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-06-04T00:31:11+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-06-03T19:48:50+00:00

    John - i'm having the same problem. I'm also running System Mechanic and having the same update error 641.

    How did you fix your problem?

    Allen

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments