I can't get my wlmp file to open in Movie Maker

Anonymous
2012-11-23T09:23:41+00:00

Original title: I can't get my wlmp file to open in windows live media player

I was making a video earlier today for a client and saved it as an unfinished wlmp file onto a memory stick.

I have tried to open it on my home computer and it is saying that the file isn't compatible with the version of windows live movie maker I have.

"Sorry, Windows Movie Maker can't open this product file. the file might not be compatible with Windows Live Movie Maker or be corrupted. Please select a different project file.


Sorry, this project can't be opened because it was created in a version of Windows Live Movie Maker that isn't compatible with this current version


How can I open this project in Windows Live Movie Maker?"

(The underlined bit had a link - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/movie-maker-the-project-cant-be-opened )

I then tried loading two old versions of windows movie maker, and it wouldn't load on those either.... I am at my wits end - I spent hours on this video and don't want to have to start over entirely.

I can't find a codec, I can't find an old version of windows live movie maker, and I can't find any way to salvage the project. Even if I had a way to turn the project to a video file I would be happy with, but nothing is working.

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-05-17T05:38:25+00:00

    Hi xiaoxia9339,

    Thank you for providing us additional details. I understand that the preview in Movie Maker is showing a black screen. This could be caused by an outdated video drivers or corrupted codecs. To resolve this, we request you to follow the steps below:

    1. Check that the files you are using are of a supported format – Some file formats are not supported by Windows Live Movie Maker. A list of supported formats can be found here.

    2. Ensure that you have the proper codecs to play your videos and audio files - Audio andVideo require codecs to play the file and it’s important to have the right codecs installed or updated in your PC.

    Note: If can't find the codec you need you may convert the video to a supported format (eg.wmv) and then add it to your Windows Movie Maker project.

    3. Ensure that your video card drivers are up to date- Movie Maker makes extensive use of the video card GPU (graphics processing unit). The display driver affects the reliability, performance, and compatibility of the video cardwith various software.

    To determine the version and video card driver date, run the DirectX Diagnostic Tool (dxdiag):

    DirectX Diagnostic Tool

    1. Click on Start button and type “dxdiag” in the Search programs and files box and press Enter key on the keyboard.
    2. Click on the Display tab and you will see the driver details including the driver version.
    3. If your video card driver seems outdated please go to the video card driver manufacturer and see if a newer version is available.

    Let us know how things work out.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-05-17T04:19:37+00:00

    Ya. I said I failed to open a project, I didn't mean movie. The source files are all in the pendrive, and while my friend created that project she used source files from the same pendrive. 

    She just got the problem of couldn't save as movie... What she got from saving as movie was only audio with black screen.

    After upgrading, I succeeded in opening the project. And, the timeline is perfect. But why is it the preview part showing black screen? Only audio can be heard.... How can I solve this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-05-16T15:44:55+00:00

    I have the same problem. The project was created by my friend saved as .wlmp file. She passed it to me, but I just fail to open with message as below. 

    "Sorry, Windows Movie Maker can't open this product file. the file might not be compatible with Windows Live Movie Maker or be corrupted. Please select a different project file.

    Sorry, this project can't be opened because it was created in a version of Windows Live Movie Maker that isn't compatible with this current version"


    My computer is running with Windows Live Movie Maker 14.0.8117.0416.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-05-12T18:54:13+00:00

    Hi AndreaVega,

    Thanks for participating on this thread. To better investigate the issue, I would like to ask for the project file. Kindly provide it in the private message area I enabled for you. Access it by signing in to Microsoft Community and hit Private Messages link.

    Regards,

    Richard

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-05-12T15:34:34+00:00

    Hi! I have the exact same problem. Im just not sure which version runs in the computer where i started, other than that I do have all the source files and the version is 65538

    I started the project in one of my schools computers but cannot open it on my laptop, which runs 14.0.8117.0416

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments