FTC HALTS MASSIVE TECH SUPPORT SCAMS:
Want to find out if this was scam .
I just got called from Microsoft office in california , and im from eastern europe so i find this strange . They didnt asked for any account information or something like that . They just told me that someone is stealing my inditity or something like that , then asked me to type www.fastsupport.com in my browser , and after that to instal "GoToAssist" .After that they installed Advanced WindowCare V2 on my pc , show me the problems i have , and offer me to buy some program from Microsoft , with 1 year plan, 5 years plan, life plan . I didnt buy it so I wonder was that a scam or anything like that , and should i be afraid . And after they finished they uinstalled those programs from my pc. If that wasnt scam and my pc is in the condition they said , i might buy it .
Windows for home | Other | Security and privacy
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi Crystal,
To answer your question, they may be able to access your personal information. We suggest that you change your password for security purposes.
We also recommend you to read this article regarding technical support scams so you can avoid cyber scam via phone calls.
Do let us know if you have any other concerns.
41 additional answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2015-11-25T14:55:59+00:00 If I was using Windows 8 I would be happy using Windows Defender.
-
Anonymous
2015-12-17T16:56:15+00:00 they're still spamming.
called today from 'microsoft' advising me of errors on my pc.
asked me to press the windows & r key, and then run "eventvwr"
I went along with it on phone, told him it was too confusing for me, so what next
told me to reopen run and type in www.fastsupport.com/380440021
obviously I didn't, but many will.
he got most upset when I said it was a scam and he had nothing to do with Microsoft
"why are you wasting your and my time?" he asked
only yours sunshine I replied. :)
guess what? the line went dead.
with-held number of course.
-
Anonymous
2016-05-31T19:48:13+00:00 I had that problem with microsoft and norton security a few times. I knew that something was wrong when I asked questions of some things they wanted to do and then after a few questions the line went silent. I just recently also had the same thing with comcast and the same thing happened. If it sounds funny or wrong ask questions before letting them take remote access and installing something on your computer. They are scamming to sell or take your money for supposed security protection and they probably put a worm or trojan to monitor your computer to do other things. Be aware of this type of operation.