FTC HALTS MASSIVE TECH SUPPORT SCAMS:
Want to find out if this was scam .
I just got called from Microsoft office in california , and im from eastern europe so i find this strange . They didnt asked for any account information or something like that . They just told me that someone is stealing my inditity or something like that , then asked me to type www.fastsupport.com in my browser , and after that to instal "GoToAssist" .After that they installed Advanced WindowCare V2 on my pc , show me the problems i have , and offer me to buy some program from Microsoft , with 1 year plan, 5 years plan, life plan . I didnt buy it so I wonder was that a scam or anything like that , and should i be afraid . And after they finished they uinstalled those programs from my pc. If that wasnt scam and my pc is in the condition they said , i might buy it .
Windows for home | Other | Security and privacy
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi Crystal,
To answer your question, they may be able to access your personal information. We suggest that you change your password for security purposes.
We also recommend you to read this article regarding technical support scams so you can avoid cyber scam via phone calls.
Do let us know if you have any other concerns.
41 additional answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2014-08-29T16:33:18+00:00 http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx
You did good!
You have successfully avoided one of the latest scams on the net.
Since the popup you received was most likely a form of adware and may or may not have been in your temporary internet files suggest you try the following.
Empty temporary internet files, reboot your computer, manually update your antimalware program to get the latest definitions and scan your computer.
Also suggest you run AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes - both are free programs.
Adwcleaner: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/
Go to http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/ and download/install/update/scan with Malwarebytes Free.
Regards...
-
Anonymous
2014-08-29T16:08:30+00:00 When I opened my computer this morning, the screen was frozen black with a message saying that Internet Explorer had possibly detected two serious viruses and that I should call the number on the screen. I couldn't remove the messages, so I called the number and got someone with a mid-eastern accent that wanted to access my computer. They said that they were associated with Microsoft and had me type in fastsupport, I told them that I was not comfortable with this and hung up. I then turned my computer off and then back on again and everything was fine.
-
Anonymous
2014-03-04T14:18:47+00:00 me again!! they said they were from Fast Support and they sounded from India or Pakistan and as I said they used Western Union for grabbing my money so if anyone out there is caught just put the phone down use the little man down the street for your problems I think they use the weekends as its a bad time to find someone to get your computer fixed!!!! D
Why would you ever have money in a Western Union account? The only time this should occur is if you've provided the money via a check, which gives you time to think about the fact that any request for money from someone via Western Union is always a scam.
Have you opened a Western Union account using a credit card or directly connected to your bank account? If so, you should close that Western Union account as soon as you've notified Western Union of the fraud via the information found on their FAQ page.
http://www.westernunion.com/sites/us/consumer-protection/QandA.page
Rob