Want to find out if this was scam .

Anonymous
2012-10-09T13:17:27+00:00

I just got called from Microsoft office in california , and im from eastern europe so i find this strange . They didnt asked for any account information or something like that . They just told me that someone is stealing my inditity  or something like that , then asked me to type www.fastsupport.com in my browser , and after that to instal "GoToAssist" .After that they installed Advanced WindowCare V2 on my pc , show me the problems i have , and offer me to buy some program from Microsoft , with 1 year plan, 5 years plan, life plan . I didnt buy it so I wonder was that a scam or anything like that , and should i be afraid . And after they finished they uinstalled those programs from my pc. If that wasnt scam and my pc is in the condition they said , i might buy it .

Windows for home | Other | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-10-09T13:50:50+00:00

FTC HALTS MASSIVE TECH SUPPORT SCAMS:

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2012/10/pecon.shtm

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-03-01T20:36:38+00:00

Hi Crystal,

To answer your question, they may be able to access your personal information. We suggest that you change your password for security purposes.

We also recommend you to read this article regarding technical support scams so you can avoid cyber scam via phone calls.

Do let us know if you have any other concerns.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-10-02T17:43:03+00:00

    This happen with my facebook, I cant no longer log in, I called the support number and the same **** answers, he said best buy will charge me $500 to fix this problem, but they will fix it for $100, this ****, now I gotta make another account, I had money in this app

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-09-14T19:38:40+00:00

    I got one of these call where I spoke to the person instead of just saying no thanks. He had me go to the Run box and open Eventvwr, which shows all the errors that occurred on my computer and said it corrupted my operating system and my startup and my registry and then he wanted me to go to www.fastsupport.com to connect to their server. I knew better and also looked up  fastsupport.com on Google. I told him the results and said I would deal with my own tech support person. The phone guy said my tech support person could not help me. I told the guy I was not interested in his scam and hung up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-04-29T18:15:14+00:00

    Remove Tech Support Scam pop-up (Call For Support Scam)

    http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-tech-support-scam-popups/

    If you talked to these people and did anything that they asked you to, post back. If not, just follow the instructions above.

    An please start your own new thread when you have an issue in the future. Thank you.

    How to begin your own, new thread and explain your issue

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/page/faq#faqAskQuestion1

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments