FTC HALTS MASSIVE TECH SUPPORT SCAMS:
Want to find out if this was scam .
I just got called from Microsoft office in california , and im from eastern europe so i find this strange . They didnt asked for any account information or something like that . They just told me that someone is stealing my inditity or something like that , then asked me to type www.fastsupport.com in my browser , and after that to instal "GoToAssist" .After that they installed Advanced WindowCare V2 on my pc , show me the problems i have , and offer me to buy some program from Microsoft , with 1 year plan, 5 years plan, life plan . I didnt buy it so I wonder was that a scam or anything like that , and should i be afraid . And after they finished they uinstalled those programs from my pc. If that wasnt scam and my pc is in the condition they said , i might buy it .
Windows for home | Other | Security and privacy
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi Crystal,
To answer your question, they may be able to access your personal information. We suggest that you change your password for security purposes.
We also recommend you to read this article regarding technical support scams so you can avoid cyber scam via phone calls.
Do let us know if you have any other concerns.
41 additional answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2017-03-23T11:46:05+00:00 I just got a call from California from tfn. They blocked my computer and said it was a high alert alerted my identity had been compromised and I had no protection on me sstem then tried to sell me plans. I did not purchase . Is this a scam and has my identity now been breached since I let them into my computer
-
Anonymous
2017-01-11T15:26:21+00:00 Just happen to me , it came on my computer said your ID address has been hacked, call this # immediately .go to picture of the window logo hit then typr R then type in 1explore(space)www.fastsupport.com. It said do not try to turn off your computer and I could not x out of it either. I think that he was the spam then you type in your name and he will give you a support key, I was already feeling very uncomfortable with this, so I hung up, he called back my # but i did not answer, so I turn off my computer and restarted it and it's working fine. How can this be stop when Microsoft come up you think that it's legit.
-
Anonymous
2016-10-11T23:22:15+00:00 Yea I got the same type of scammer now I'm recovering from them because of my Idiot Father who doesn't know much about Computers and such didn't think twice and I'm not sure if they can really take control of the PC again or if they are grabbing information.
1: they know his Email username (not password) and home address after running Fastsupport (Windows + R)
2: not quite sure if there is any spyware so I am taking as much action to prevent things
3: I'm not quite sure what can actually happen in the future but I'm sure nothing will
4: he didn't have a credit card so they don't have his credit card
5: Cleared up my PC with Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware