Want to find out if this was scam .

Anonymous
2012-10-09T13:17:27+00:00

I just got called from Microsoft office in california , and im from eastern europe so i find this strange . They didnt asked for any account information or something like that . They just told me that someone is stealing my inditity  or something like that , then asked me to type www.fastsupport.com in my browser , and after that to instal "GoToAssist" .After that they installed Advanced WindowCare V2 on my pc , show me the problems i have , and offer me to buy some program from Microsoft , with 1 year plan, 5 years plan, life plan . I didnt buy it so I wonder was that a scam or anything like that , and should i be afraid . And after they finished they uinstalled those programs from my pc. If that wasnt scam and my pc is in the condition they said , i might buy it .

Windows for home | Other | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-10-09T13:50:50+00:00

FTC HALTS MASSIVE TECH SUPPORT SCAMS:

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2012/10/pecon.shtm

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-03-01T20:36:38+00:00

Hi Crystal,

To answer your question, they may be able to access your personal information. We suggest that you change your password for security purposes.

We also recommend you to read this article regarding technical support scams so you can avoid cyber scam via phone calls.

Do let us know if you have any other concerns.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-03-23T15:32:30+00:00

    Hello Vera,

    There are a couple of ways to avoid this type of scenario. Since Microsoft do not offer such type of service, we advise you to secure your account and personal information.

    What we suggest is that you report this incident using the steps on this link.

    Furthermore, you can avoid other technical support scams by reviewing this link.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-03-01T19:18:16+00:00

    What happened when I punched in the code they gave me? By not going through with the software download, I stopped the process in time and they should not be able to access my information, right? All I gave them was my name and birthday. Should I still be concerned? What should I do?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments