FTC HALTS MASSIVE TECH SUPPORT SCAMS:
Want to find out if this was scam .
I just got called from Microsoft office in california , and im from eastern europe so i find this strange . They didnt asked for any account information or something like that . They just told me that someone is stealing my inditity or something like that , then asked me to type www.fastsupport.com in my browser , and after that to instal "GoToAssist" .After that they installed Advanced WindowCare V2 on my pc , show me the problems i have , and offer me to buy some program from Microsoft , with 1 year plan, 5 years plan, life plan . I didnt buy it so I wonder was that a scam or anything like that , and should i be afraid . And after they finished they uinstalled those programs from my pc. If that wasnt scam and my pc is in the condition they said , i might buy it .
Windows for home | Other | Security and privacy
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi Crystal,
To answer your question, they may be able to access your personal information. We suggest that you change your password for security purposes.
We also recommend you to read this article regarding technical support scams so you can avoid cyber scam via phone calls.
Do let us know if you have any other concerns.
41 additional answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2017-01-11T01:23:53+00:00 I got a pop up message while I was browsing the internet using my Edge browser. It said your computer has been infected by virus and spyware and it's currently infected my network and my email password, bank account and face book account has been hacked. The message popped up as if it was from Microsoft support and asked me to call a number. I thought this was my Windows computer alerting me about the virus attack and I immediately called them. They asked me to type www.fastsupport.com and installed gotoAssist into my computer. They typed some commands such as msconfig, they went to system administrator tab and showed me the services saying they are all stopped because my computer is infected. They also typed in a 'tree' command and showed me some errors. Then they took me to a site to but Microsoft Windows pro software and clicked on the buy button. At that time I got suspicious and I switched of my phone and my computer and using my smart phone I looked for the real Microsoft support chat and I told him about the pop up and the phone number. He immediately said it might be a scam. But after restarting the computer, the pop up was gone and the computer was working fine. I also downloaded free Norton virus scan and
-
Anonymous
2017-01-02T23:53:28+00:00 Please read:
- **Beware of Phony Tech Support Scams**
- Avoid scams that use the Microsoft name fraudulently
- Tech Support Scams – Help & Resource Page
- **Tell Your Relatives: No, Microsoft Won’t Call You About Your Computer**
- **The “Tech Support” Scammers Called HTG (So We Had Fun with Them)**
- **http://support.microsoft.com/reportascam**
And watch:
Fake Tech Support Scams– video from the MS Digital Crimes Unit
-
Anonymous
2017-01-02T23:43:00+00:00 ... we highly suggest you to create a new thread for this issue...
@ Mark Isi
Oh no. Please not another Scam Call thread. There are already sooooo many of this kind of threads everywhere in Microsoft Community.........