What is a bad pool header and how do I fix it?

Anonymous
2012-04-22T22:00:46+00:00

What is a bad pool header and how do I fix it?

Windows has been taking 30 or so minutes to start.  I've tried repairing it but nothing seems to work and now I'm getting a blue screen that says "bad pool header".

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-04-23T16:12:31+00:00

Hi,

  1. Have you made any changes to the computer prior to the issue?
  2. Do you get any specific error codes?

A pool header issue is a problem with Windows memory allocation. Device driver issues are probably the most common, but this can have diverse causes including bad sectors or other disk write issues, and problems with some routers. (By theory, RAM problems would be suspect for memory pool issues).

Method 1:

Disconnect any external devices connected to the computer except the mouse and keyboard, check what happens.

With Windows 7, you can run a check disk from system recovery options using command prompt.

Refer the article mentioned below:

What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

Method 2:

If the above step fails follow the steps:

Step 1:

Restart computer in safe mode and check if the issue persists. Follow the steps in the link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Step 2:

If safe mode works restart computer in clean boot and check if the issue persists.Follow “step 1” in the link to enable to clean boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Follow the step 7 from the article to “Reset the computer to start as usual”, after performing the clean boot troubleshooting.

Method 3:

If the above step fails follow the steps in the link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Resolving-stop-blue-screen-errors-in-Windows-7

Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-06-20T14:11:27+00:00

    I did a system reset - previous to last Microsoft automatic update. Problem solved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-04-13T18:44:30+00:00

    I'm afraid to say that this is not helpful at all, because you don't say anything about how to FIX THE PROBLEM  I have this problem, but not all the time.  I can't troubleshoot it with this simpleminded method of simply removing devices.  I NEED TO USE MY COMPUTER, that means I need to use its devices, ALL OF THEM.  I can't simply work in safe mode.  This answer is no use at all.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-08T00:44:02+00:00

    I am having the same issue. I am have run memtest, Processor tests, all come out fine. I had event log errors with skydrive, bonjour.  I removed both of them from the system. used this command in the power shell running as an admin  :

    wevtutil el | Foreach-Object {Write-Host "Clearing $_"; wevtutil cl "$_"}

    to clear event logs. Still get the same issue. Bios is up-to-date for windows 8 systems. This is however an older motherboard. I am thinking it might be time for an upgrade it is a asus p8z68-V/GEN#3. Running a i7 2600k, not o.c'ed. 1333MHZ 16 GB DDR3 Ram

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more