Hi,
try to look at this directory:
C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS
If it is not empty - delete all the files in this directory and restart the printer spooler service.
LC
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Original Title: Printer Spooler
I've got a problem with my printer spooler. I can restart it but it always shuts off when I go to print something. I went to programs/features and clicked turn features on/off and under printer documentation services the LPD and LPR, and fax/scan are selected. Internet client is not checked.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi,
try to look at this directory:
C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS
If it is not empty - delete all the files in this directory and restart the printer spooler service.
LC
Me too. I've pinned services to my taskbar so I can stop and restart the print spooler every time I want to print (after my laptop has put itself to sleep).
More information if needed. On the turn windows features on/off. I checked the Print and Document Services and the following are checked.
Internet Print Client
LPD Print Service
LPR Port Monitor
Windows fax and scan
Should these all be checked?
In the C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS....I keep deleting the files that it will allow me to, but they always come back on restart. Also, my computer is a Dell and only a little over a year old. I also tried doing a restore to an earlier date and that didn't help either. Also tried the PC Cleaner software to clean up the machine and that did nothing as well although it cleaned up over 1000 unnecessary files.
I would check the status of the Print Spooler Service.
Click on the Start button and select Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. Locate Print Spooler in the list. Check that it has started and that the StartUp type is Automatic.
I suspect that it has stopped and that just starting it will not solve the problem.
You may need to show hidden files. Type Folder Options in the search box above the Start button and select View, Advanced Settings and verify that the box before "Show hidden files and folders" is checked and "Hide protected operating system files" is unchecked. You need to scroll down to see the second item. You should also make certain that the box before "Hide extensions for known file types" is not checked.
Now access Windows Explorer and select c:\windows\system32\spool\printers. Normally this folder should be empty but there is a problem when files with “spl” and “shd” extensions stick there. Delete the files and restart your computer. This may resolve your immediate problem.
How do I get into the directory to check this? I believe I have to get into DOS.
Thanks for responding.
JE