Neighbor keeps inserting his wireless router into my network infrastructure?

Anonymous
2011-08-10T13:09:02+00:00

neighbor keeps adding his router to my network infrastructure. Not sure how this is happening. Have deleted network profile and re installed with just my router, added/changed passwords, and within a few days here is this other router listed in addition to mine as part of the network infrastructure again. How do I prevent this? How much of a security risk is this vs. just really annoying? I have cable internet, and a Linkseys modem and wireless router.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-08-17T15:29:17+00:00

If someone hacked into your router, they could well have hacked into your computer also and you may have something running in your computer that is doing this.  Its very hard to diagnose over this forum.  But if you are losing bandwidth, it suggests hacking.  And that is illegal and it might be used for illegal purposes, so if you knew it was someone hacking, you can contact local law enforcement, as it is more than someone accessing your internet capability (such as might be the case if you had an unsecured network).  This is robbery by tampering with your system, so that is clearly not kosher.  They could also be using your bandwidth for illegal purposes and the cops would come after you, as its your account.

I would scan your systems for malware and viruses.  Then also go to Start | Run and type msconfig and see what programs are running at startup and its possible there is a program that is resetting the "Belkin thing" or is opening a back door to your system.  For diagnostic purposes you might also try turning off the wireless features completely and just running the router hard-wired and then see if you get the "Belkin thing" coming back in. 

Its likely someone very close to you as the wireless signal doesn't transmit over the entire neighborhood.  It could even be someone in their vehicle out on the street.  If you are friendly with the neighbors, you can ask them.  Otherwise I'd ask law enforcement for their advice.

steve

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-08-22T21:51:04+00:00

    Yes, this is exactly what i see in my network as the thread you provided, except mine shows up as 'Belkin Wireless Router' instead of 'F5D7234-4'

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-08-22T21:47:30+00:00

    I actually always change my router password and haven't noticed anything unusual on the router itself.  There isn't anything connected to the wireless router other than my laptop.  Unless this software is hijacking the laptop mac address and mirroring it there is no way to by-pass the mac filter on the router.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-08-22T21:45:33+00:00

    Nope, not near or know the OP but I did notice that one of the wireless networks in my neighborhood has a network ID of Belkin_N+_D67D40, not sure if this is related and i don't know which of my neighbors has it.  I'll try to figure that out since its beginning to bother me that i am unable to identify the source of this router.  

    Also, I have run full scans of my system using Norton and it has not found any viruses or malware other than internet browser tracking cookies.  I have yet to go down the startup route to determine if there is anything running in the background that is out of place.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-08-22T15:35:43+00:00

    Martin,

    Do you also experience a drop in BW when you see the belkin router? I am wondering now if I was correct to assume that the belkin device was causing the erratic BW, or if I need to plan a day at home to have the Comcast guy over to check my connection. (again)

    Miranda

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments