Windows 7 Service Pack 1 error 80004005

Anonymous
2011-02-23T17:54:38+00:00

I have turned off my antivirus, run the rediness too and the Microsoft Fix It tool.  But still will not install the SP1 for my windows 7 Ultimate 64bit system.  I get a code 80004005

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Licensing and activation

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-04-05T09:01:03+00:00

Folks, I believe I have an answer to the problem. After trying many different options suggested above without success, I managed to install the service pack. As mentioned in a number of previous messages, the system partition is  the root of all evil. The system partition (this is not the partition that has win7 installed) is either too small or is full. You need a minimum of 20M or more for the install to work. My system partition was 100M in size and had only 5M free, this caused the service pack install to fail with the messages indicated above. On freeing up space (20M availability) the install worked successfully. To access the system partition (has no assigned drive letter) you need to use the win7 partition manager software found in the control panel, assign a drive letter to system partition, access the new partition, move a larger enough file from one of the directories onto a win7 partition, freeing up space, run the service pack install, installation should succeed. After rebooting from service pack install , reverse the process, copy file back to system partition and remove the assigned drive letter. All complete ............hope this helps!!!!!

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-02-28T12:55:55+00:00

    Thank you for trying to help me.  I tried this solution using option 1 as provided by joscon.  Then rebooted computer but same resulting error as mentioned in this thread earlier.  Have not tried option 2 as I was not sure how to do what was suggested.  This notebook computer is new only purchased last month.  From my 'google'search it seems that other people are having issues with this SP as well. Hopefully someone can come up with a solution that works :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-02-28T10:50:54+00:00

    Hello,

    try the solution provided by joscon in this Technet thread.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-02-27T21:56:40+00:00

    I am having the same issues as Scott.  The only difference being that I have Windows 7 Home Premium  64bit.  I have tried all the things mentioned here.  I tried several times using Windows Update but it fail everytime.  So I downloaded the service pack burnt it to a disc tried running that but it also failed with the same error message.  Can anyone help me please?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-02-25T21:32:52+00:00

    Hi scott125469,

    I can try and help you with this. Can you upload the following files to SkyDrive  and share the URL:

    %windir%\Logs\CBS\*

    %windir%\inf\setupapi.dev.log

    %windir%\system32\winevt\logs\system.evtx

    %windir%\WindowsUpdate.log

    Once you do that , we will get the files and will inspect them to see what is happening.

    Thanks,

    Amit [MSFT]

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments