My computer does not recognize my installed printer as a scanner.

Anonymous
2011-05-18T19:53:31+00:00

Recognize a scanner.  My printer is also a scanner.  My new computer recognizes the (networked) printer but does not recognize the scanner function.  When I try to scan a document it tells me I do not have a scanner installed?  What to do?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-05-19T01:45:13+00:00

Normally, input devices cannot be shared, at all, but this isn't always true of scanners.  You'll be able to share the scanner only if it's manufacturer provided specialized software for that purpose.

    You have to use a network-capable scanner (which immediately eliminates most, if not all, USB scanners) and specialized software (that comes with the scanner) to do this.  If you're talking about a home consumer grade flatbed USB or parallel port scanner, you very probably can't.

    HP, Canon, Xerox, Océ, Kyocera Mita, and other companies manufacture network capable scanners (They're actually multi-function devices that also copy, print, and sometimes fax and email) and the requisite specialized software.  The cost of such devices usually starts somewhere just below $4,000.00 USD.

    The HP PrecisionScan Pro application, versions 2.03 and higher, which normally comes with some of HP's low-end business scanners, permits some of the scanning functions to be shared.  Consult the documentation that came with the scanner.  (I know it works, if not very well; I've set up HP ScanJet 6300C and 7490C devices to be shared, using the supplied software.)

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-05-18T20:55:44+00:00

Name and model of printer?

I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the latest drivers compatible for Windows 7.

You can also run Printer  troubleshooter.

Open the Printer troubleshooter

Open the Printer troubleshooter by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. Under Hardware and Sound, click Use a printer.

For further information, visit the below mentioned link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Printer-troubleshooter

Printer Issues: http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2010/04/12/3324570.aspx

Run the Printer Fix it from: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/printing\_problems?entrypoint=WHHT

You may refer the below mentioned links.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Install-a-printer

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Find-and-install-printer-drivers

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-your-default-printer

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Printing-to-the-correct-printer

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-04-07T15:36:27+00:00

    I have Windows 10 and am trying to get my printer/scanner HP OfficePro 8600 to recognize my computer so I can scan to my computer

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-08T22:58:05+00:00

    This did not fix the problem.  I click on the start button, scroll down to Scan and click on it.  Then I get a message, "to start, connect a scanner."  I plug in the scanner USB, and then get a message, "USB device not recognized."  Nothing at all happens after that.  The scanner is turned on and "scan" is depressed on the scanner.  Then I get a message on the scanner that says, "connecting to PC."  But it just continues with that message until it times out and turns off (seems like forever!).  I have successfully scanned many documents from this scanner (a Brother MFC6490CW printer/scanner/copier/fax device) to this laptop (Asus)  and have never had a problem with it.  But today, the scanner doesn't connect to the computer.  I have a WIFI system, but I have always had to plug the scanner into the laptop with the USB cord and plug. Today, it just won't work.  BTW, I'm using Windows 10.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-08T17:36:00+00:00

    This works on my Brother MFC440 CN:

    1.  Go to Start button

    2.  Scroll down menu to "Scan" and click

    3.  Now press Scan and/or Preview

    4.  Printer scans and produces image

    5.  Scan is saved to This PC/Pictures/Scans and can be printed from there, or attached/inserted in other docs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments