Peer networking grouping service isn't running is the message. How do I get it to run?

Anonymous
2011-03-05T14:04:58+00:00

I have two computers in my home and have installed a wireless printer on one.  I have been trying to install another wireless printer in another part of my home but keeps printing to the one previously installed.  I have received a message that "peer networking grouping service isn'g running".  Could this correct the problem and if so, how do I get the service running?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-04-21T06:22:47+00:00

I finally got it 

  1. Right click on the three services

a)peer network grouping

b)peer network identity manager

c)peer name resolution

one after another.

  1. After right clicking go to properties -> Logon.

3)Name the same profile for all three sevices (passwords should be retype of your own).

then restart all three services.

finally refresh homegroup....

you find no error:)

This worked for me, thanks.

  1. I started by selecting "peer network identity manager"
  2. and clicked the Log On tab.
  3. Then selected The bubble for "this account" Not "local sys acc".
  4. Then click the Browse button.
  5. Then advanced at the lower left.
  6. Then Find now on the middle right.
  7. Then select "LOCAL SERVICE".
  8. Then Ok out.

I was prompted to restart the service before changes would change but I skipped that until after I changed the other two services.

Repeat steps one though 8 for peer name resolution and peer network grouping in that order. (I don't know why that made a difference but it worked for me)

  1. Then restart peer network identity manager
  2. Start peer name resolution
  3. Start peer network grouping

This worked for me and I have been hunting for days. Thanks much to everyone. And a big thanks to  rajanaveen.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-06-25T11:55:53+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-06-12T13:32:02+00:00

    Thank you very much for this solution

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-04T18:44:36+00:00

    I don't think I did the reply right, I seem to have added text to your message. SORRY.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-11-04T18:43:41+00:00

    Hi,

    I had to reinstall from the disc Windows 7 professional on the PC, (i.e a clean install), when trying to set up the homegroup with my laptop, neither machine now recognises each other in the Homegroup window (although both can be seen on my network).

    I ran the Homegroup troubleshooter and the message recived was:-

    "peer networking grouping service isn't running" as above, I found this thread and followed the instructions to click start in services, I then recieved the message:-

    "Windows could not start the Peer Networking Grouping service on the Local Computer.

    Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

    While in service I also checked the Peer Name Resolution Protocol service, which wasn't working either with the same message above but the error was 0x80630801: 0x80630801

    However Peer Networking Identity manager is working normally.

    Any advice would be welcome!

     Hi, I am having exact same issues and actively looking for soution.  Will ge back if I find the fix.

    I noticed the other two peer... things were disabled, so I clicked on properties, noted  DISABLED was selected, clicked on it and then enabled them all.  Seems to have worked.  LOL Lots of Luck????

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments