Getting blue screen error with "video scheduler has encountered an unexpected fatal error" message

Anonymous
2011-07-30T18:50:18+00:00

Original Title: Blue screen of death :'(Hello,

My troubles began yesterday when my Acer PC froze unexpectedly. I restarted it and it worked well for a few hours but then I got my first ever blue screen of death which told me "video scheduler has encountered an unexpected fatal error". After a few Google searches on this I reinstalled the driver for my video driver. I also ran system restore.

I switched on my PC today and not long after I started using it I got another blue screen but this time it told me the error was REFERENCE_BY_POINTER STOP: 0x00000018, 0X0000000 0x8A419DD8, 0x00000002, 0xFFFFFFFF

My PC has Windows Vista x86 32bit. I purchased it new in August 2009 with Vista installed already. I have not reformatted the PC or reinstalled Windows since purchasing it. My video card is Intel(R) G45/G43 Express Chipset

Please help me fix this!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-08-21T17:01:44+00:00

    Nicholas

    "0% free" Do you really mean what you say?

    Did you run Disk CleanUp?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-08-21T15:42:37+00:00

    Two drives of 457.76GB with 0% free, both healthy apparently. I have another one with no name which is only 16GB (Healthy, EISA Configuration).

    I last ran disk defragmenter on 17 August apparently.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-08-21T14:54:29+00:00

    How large is your hard disk? Is it partitoned? How large is each partition and how much free disk space is there on each?

    The best place to get this information is Disk Management. Select, Start, Run, type diskmgmt.msc and press the ENTER key.

    Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk CleanUp to empty your Recycle Bin, remove Temporary Internet Files and other selected options. I also recommend you click on the More Options tab, System Restore and remove all but the latest System Restore point. Run Disk Defragmenter.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-08-21T14:15:04+00:00

    Ok so I've gone into Event Viewer and the freezes I got today and yesterday report the first problem as being:

    Configuring the Page file for crash dump failed. Make sure there is a page file on the boot partition and that is large enough to contain all physical memory.

    This one seems to appear quite a bit too:

    The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because the shadow copy storage could not grow due to a user imposed limit.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2011-08-21T13:53:51+00:00

    Nicholas

    Another way to access Event Viewer. Select Start, Run, type eventvwr and press the ENTER key.

    You may need to show hidden files. Type Folder Options in the search box above the Start button and select View, Advanced Settings and verify that the box before "Show hidden files and folders" is checked and "Hide protected operating system files" is unchecked. You may need to scroll down to see the second item. You should also make certain that the box before "Hide extensions for known file types" is not checked.

    In Windows Explorer navigate to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools" folder. Are the shortcuts to Administrative Tools there?

    If you select Ctrl+Shift+Enter does it bring up Task Manager? When Task Manager and Event Viewer become unavailable you need to explore the possbility of a virus/malware infestation.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments