Shift key to release caps lock

Anonymous
2010-11-17T05:37:22+00:00

Earlier versions of Windows contained a switch that would allow pressing either shift key to release the caps lock key, creating an action similar to that of a typewriter. I have not been able to find this switch in Windows 7. Can someone help?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-02-08T14:10:10+00:00

Here's the REAL answer, not someone talking down to you. Shame on LVTravel, and shame on Adam-Support Engineer , who marked LVTravel's post as an answer.

  • Go to Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Keyboards & Languages > Change Keyboard > Advanced Key Settings.

There you will find the setting to turn off Caps Lock with the SHIFT key, as it should be by default.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-10-05T17:18:08+00:00

    Muchisimas gracias

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-08-04T18:15:26+00:00

    I actually took the time to create a bogus acct just to reply to this. 1. @LVTravel, you're a pretentious stuck up piece of ****. 2. @A. User (1), don't know what language that is you're writing in, but you're a goddam retard 3. @A-Black_Man, I'll go easy on you as yours isn't quite a crime, but DO realize that it is completely irrelevant when the original question was posted. Replies are NOT intended ONLY for the OP, they are read years later by others who are redirected to the same page for an answer as they were searching. When you post something, you're creating a sort of indelible mark on the internet. I'll give you one very concrete example: ME. I'm only here because Google redirected me here when I asked the exact same question as the OP. And I DID GET MY ANSWER here, over three yrs after the OP. 4. @A. User (2), you're the biggest dumbass in this bunch, because you showed up 3 yrs after the OP to show everyone that (a) you're as much of a fool as the first couple in this post for not at all understanding the question, and (b) you don't bother reading some of the other answers, which would let you KNOW what the original question was, would let you KNOW it was answered, and would let you KNOW that others who are also **** illiterate like you were already put in their places. On an unrelated note, I find it amusing all the hoops microsoft makes you jump through to sign up for an acct with them, considering absolutely all the info I put, with the sole exception of ****, was bullshit, and ALSO considering I only signed up to post this one msg and have absolutely no intention of sticking around. Why would anyone want to associate themselves with microsoft anyway? Just the thought gives me shivers… To those who either provided the correct answer or put the illiterate dumbasses in their places, YEAH BOYYYYEEEEE :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-06-09T20:52:07+00:00

    thx a lot

    you solve my problem

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-04-10T23:02:25+00:00

    IT's the keyboard KEY just ABOVE the Left Hand-side SHIFT key. Of the keyboard.

    You say that there has always been a 'switch' that 'releases' the caps lock key...in earlier versions of Windows, excuse me, what flipping planet did you come from????!

    From as far back as windows 3.1, on a QWERTY keyboard.......................the 'above-mentioned key' has been the ONLY method of CHOOSING either UPPER-CASE or lower-case.

    And, it remains that way....even to today!

     

    My brain must be addled with age but I don't understand this at all.

    If you don't know how to set CAPS LOCK to be turned off by the SHIFT key (as mine is) instead of acting as a toggle I refer you to the earlier answer by mr1900 - 08 Feb 2011 - which I copy here in case you can't find it:

    **Go to Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Keyboards & Languages > Change Keyboard > Advanced Key Settings.**where you will find this option

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments