Windows does not recognise a blank disc in a DVD drive.

Anonymous
2011-07-24T12:01:42+00:00

When trying to burn a CD, and having a blank CD-R in the DVD drive, I get "Windows can't read the disc in Drive D". I have tried other discs and DVDs but it seems Windows does not recognise a blank disc. I have another DVD drive and the same is true here as well.  I have tried updating the drivers and disabling and re-enabling the drives but to no avail. CDs or DVDs with content are recognised however.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-09-15T18:34:48+00:00

I had the same problem in Windows 7 32-bit (suspect this would fix in Vista as well). After trying everything else under the sun went into Services (Search for programs and files, type "Services") and looked up "Shell Hardware Detection". Found that it was disabled (not sure how it got that way). Right clicked on it to get Properties. Changed Startup type to "Automatic", hit Apply and OK. Problem resolved without even having to reboot!

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-07-17T19:19:06+00:00

    Thanks!  This was very good information.  I have two RW DVD +R DL Lightscribe drives and both had been working great.  Then the other day when I went to use them, I would get an error message that Windows does not recognize the disc.  I followed your instructions and they now work fine again.  How it got changed to begin with is beyond me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-03-01T02:29:41+00:00

    I had the same problem in Windows 7 32-bit (suspect this would fix in Vista as well). After trying everything else under the sun went into Services (Search for programs and files, type "Services") and looked up "Shell Hardware Detection". Found that it was disabled (not sure how it got that way). Right clicked on it to get Properties. Changed Startup type to "Automatic", hit Apply and OK. Problem resolved without even having to reboot!

    Never too late! 12 hours later and many calls to Samsung, the Brand of my 2 LightScribe drives with this problem. NO help there. I am self taught in computers and out-did them ALL. Thanks to this post!!! THANK You all... ESPECIALLY  this GENIUS... Samsung was going to issue me RMA's. LOL. Thanks Again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-12-18T23:44:05+00:00

    Your answer worked for me too, on a new Windows 7 64 bit install.  Thanks for the help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-09-14T15:57:25+00:00

    I have the same problem and diagnostic software did nothing for me. 3 different CD/DVD drives, tried different discs. Nothing worked. All play CDs fine. My multi function scanner has also stopped working properly (but copies/prints fine). Will start doing some more extensive virus testing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments