I had the same problem in Windows 7 32-bit (suspect this would fix in Vista as well). After trying everything else under the sun went into Services (Search for programs and files, type "Services") and looked up "Shell Hardware Detection". Found that it was disabled (not sure how it got that way). Right clicked on it to get Properties. Changed Startup type to "Automatic", hit Apply and OK. Problem resolved without even having to reboot!
Windows does not recognise a blank disc in a DVD drive.
When trying to burn a CD, and having a blank CD-R in the DVD drive, I get "Windows can't read the disc in Drive D". I have tried other discs and DVDs but it seems Windows does not recognise a blank disc. I have another DVD drive and the same is true here as well. I have tried updating the drivers and disabling and re-enabling the drives but to no avail. CDs or DVDs with content are recognised however.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 additional answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2017-02-16T20:04:37+00:00 This may be a fix for some poor soul out there. I too tried all of the fixes mentioned in these various posts but found the resolution to be quite unique.
1. Type GPEDIT.msc in the start run box to open the group policy editor. (Must be admin)
2. Go to Local Computer Policy\Administrative Templates\System\Removable Storage Access\CD and DVD: Deny Write Access\
3. Click on Policy Setting in the Edit: policy setting pane.
4. Select Disabled and hit apply.
5. Reboot Windows.
Immediately after reboot I was able to see the DVD+R disc, write to it and burn data.
-
Anonymous
2017-01-08T02:10:03+00:00 I checked this for a possible problem using "properties" and found everything to be OK. As others
have mentioned, I can put in a CD that has information on it and the computer will access this
information with no problem. But when I put in a blank CD, the computer does not recognize
that there is a CD in the drive (the "D drive"). When I try to look for it using the Windows
Explorer, the drive does not show up (unless there is a CD in the drive that has information that
was already on the disk). Thanks for any help! Brad
-
Anonymous
2017-01-08T01:30:05+00:00 I'm wondering if you tried the solution that worked for me. Put your CD in the drive, then right-click on the drive letter for it and choose "Format." I know you're not supposed to have to format CDs, but this worked for me. Once the format was done (30 seconds or so), I was able to write data to the CD.
-
Anonymous
2017-01-08T00:50:38+00:00 Thanks for the info. I have this exact problem and tried your solution (Windows 7) but it was already set to Automatic. I did Restart but I'm still having the same problem.
Anyone have any other ideas? :-/
JW