My laptop times out too quickly and goes into screen saver mode.

Anonymous
2011-05-15T19:50:33+00:00

How do I change my time -out screen saver control. It seems like one minute and then the screen goes black, then screen saver pictures begin. It's very controling and irritating. Usually if I press a button on the keyboard it will come back, but not always. Please advise.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-05-16T13:44:16+00:00

Hi

1.       Was it working fine earlier, if yes then do remember making changes to your computer recently?

Follow these steps to change the settings for screensaver timeout:

a.       Right-click on your desktop and select "Personalize" from the menu that appears.

b.      Click on "Screen Saver" in the Personalization menu.

c.       Use the up and down arrow keys beside the "Wait" box to select the number of minutes you want the computer to wait before it activates the screensaver. You can also type the number of minutes directly into the box.

d.      Click "OK" to finalize your settings.

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-08-21T21:21:22+00:00

    A very good question to which I too would like to know the answer - and many others too! If you read the above you will see that for my HP Probook 450 G2 I discovered a partial fix: I close all programs (Apps) and press the power button for sleep/suspend mode. Then I remove the battery and press the power button a few times to remove all charge from the laptop. When the battery is replaced and the laptop is powered up the problem goes away from anywhere between one day and a couple of weeks. I have maintained a detailed record of these events since December 2017 but I don't see any correlation between the behaviour of the laptop and the appearance of the early timeout as I call it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-08-21T17:26:11+00:00

    I was able to get to screen saver settings.  I set the system to have no screen saver.  It still does the same thing; but only sometimes. Sometimes it times out every couple of minutes and sometimes it never times out.  Power settings are also set to never turn off and disk and screen also set to never shut off when connected to power - which it is.  Could this be an interaction between Windows 10 and the HP hardware?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments