Received error 0x8007000e trying to install Windows 7 SP1 x86.

Anonymous
2011-02-24T04:38:31+00:00

Hi all,

I just ran Windows Update and it was able to install everything except Windows 7 SP1.  I tried it again and it failed.  So the third time, I downloaded the Service Pack from the Microsoft downloads section and tried to run it, but it failed again.  This time, I got an error: ERROR_OUTOFMEMORY(0x8007000e).  Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.

Funny thing, I have 3 GB of RAM installed and 900 GB of free disk space so I'm at a loss as to what type of memory it is out of.  Running Task Manager, I have about 2 GB of RAM free.  Do I need to terminate more background applications and services to free up more RAM?

Thanks for any help.

============

I couldn't find this earlier post so I created another one with more details.  Please look under the title "Trouble installing Windows 7 SP1 x86 error 0x8007000e"

Thanks.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-02-24T21:15:20+00:00

    Hello there,

    I had the same problem on Windos 7 Ultimate 32bit. On 3 of 4 test systems everything worked fine, the last one failed. In spite of 60GB free HDD space and 4GB RAM the installation end up with "outofmemory". Tracking the memory usage during install showed no more than 30% was used at all. After several trys and more than just a couple of hours I compared all testsystems with each other. The only thing that remains the same on the 3 "good" systems but differs on the "bad" one was the fact that several languagepacks were installed on the "bad".

    So I uninstalled all additional languages and started the servicepack 1 installation after rebooting. Not only the installion was successful, the required time decreased from more than 4 hours to around 50 minutes.

    Tomorrow I will reinstall the languagepacks.^^

    It's no real solution but a workaround. Maybe it will help you to.

    Hope to read your feedback and goog luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-02-24T14:23:23+00:00

    It is not about needing to reclaim space after installing.

    It is that the installation doesn't complete because of an error called "ERROR_OUTOFMEMORY(0x8007000e)".

    My computer has also 3 GB of RAMs, which is the maximum for Windows 7 x86.

    I have 60 GB of harddisk space before installing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-02-27T16:30:59+00:00

    I asked this question last week, but didn't see a reply/answer.  And now I can't find it in the forum so I'm asking again.

    I'm trying to installed Windows 7 SP1 through the Windows Update Control Panel.  Each time I try to install it, it would error out with 0x8007000e out of memory error.  The situation is the same.  I click "Install Update" and it sits there for a long time (10+ minutes) and whole time it says 0 KB downloaded (0%)  So I go to bed and come back the next morning and that's when the error pops out.  This is the only update I am having problems with.  If there are multiple updates, I uncheck this one and install everything else.  Then I come back to this one and try again.

    I am running Microsoft Securities Essential as my anti-virus.

    I read through the knowledge base and ran the all the prerequisites.  I even downloaded SP 1 and tried to install it manually.  I ran the KB947821 to fix whatever is wrong and still no go.  SP1 says it installed properly, but when I go to System, it does not list Service Pack 1 under Windows Edition.  So Windows Update is still asking to install this and it gives the same error 0x8007000e.

    I am running a Core i7 computer with 3 GB of memory and 900 GB of free disk space so what kind of memory is it out of?

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-02-24T15:33:08+00:00

    I'm seeing the exact same problem when trying to update our public workstation base image with Service Pack 1 (it's just a bare install of Windows 7 - no applications or anything!). Sorry I can't offer any help but thought it would be worth mentioning that you're not alone with this problem!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2011-02-24T06:30:15+00:00

    Win7 SP1: Installation tips

    http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2011/02/16/windows-7-sp1-follow-up.aspx

    Strategies for freeing disk space

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Strategies-for-freeing-disk-space

    Also see...

    How to reclaim space after installing Win7 SP1

    http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/archive/2011/02/15/how-to-reclaim-space-after-applying-service-pack-1.aspx

    ==================================================

    Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for issues related to Windows 7 Service Packs. Availability of chat, phone or e-mail support differs depending on your geographic location. Some issues may require more advanced support for which there may be a charge:  https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&gprid=14496&&st=1&wfxredirect=1&sd=gn


    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments