"Security Essentials" updates automatically, "Windows Update" does not?

Anonymous
2011-03-14T18:58:28+00:00

Hi:

I bought a new Dell last month pre-installed with Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit).

I immediately downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials (after removing via Control Panel a trial version of McAfee, I believe it was, which I never enabled/activated) to use as my Security Suite.

According to my "View Update History", Microsoft Security Essentials updates automatically every day.

"Windows Update" itself, however, does not.

This is despite the original default settings being in place, i.e., "install updates automatically" is checked.

When I finally noticed this and attempted to manually check for updates, I kept getting the dreaded "server is busy" error code.  This lasted several hours.  When I was finally able to connect, I received a long list of updates to download/install.  However, when I tried to do so, several "Failed" (according to "View Update History"), including some marked "Important".  Further, when I manually check for updates again, these "Failed" updates don't reappear, so I don't know how to get them.

More importantly, I don't understand why "Microsoft Security Essentials" updates automatically and daily and without problem, while "Windows Updates", though set to update automatically, does not?

True, my computer is turned off at 3:00AM (the default update time), but my understanding is that the update should then occur (delayed) the next time the computer is turned on.

I've read several of the questions/answers here, and have tried most of what was suggested - for example:

  • My internet connection is obviously working fine.
  • I have no "Proxy Server".
  • I ran "TDSSKiller" and there was no threat found.
  • I also run the Microsoft "Fix Tool", which shows that something was fixed, but it has no effect.  And every time I run it, it apparently "fixes" the same thing.  To no effect.

I ran Windows Update again manually before posting here, and it seems to have worked okay, but why does it not work automatically?

Thanks,

Five

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-07T00:25:30+00:00

If all were well with your computer: 

  1. You should not be getting 80072EE2 errors [1] when running a manual check for updates assuming your User Account has the requisite Permissions.
  2. You should not be seeing any "Managed by your system administrator" if your User Account has the requisite Permissions. [2]
  3. KB2572077 should be installed IMHO, especially if Win7 SP1 is installed. [3]

I appreciate your help...but let's not (both) let this become a full-time career!

Computer security is my full-time career! <wink> [although I'm a volunteer here]

===============================================================

[1] See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941 

[2] Start | Control Panel | Windows Update | Change settings (left-hand menu) | Allow all users to install updates on this computer <=check/enable this option | OK your way out & Reboot | Make sure the option is still checked/enabled.

[3] For home users, no-charge support for security updates (only!) is available by calling 1-800-MICROSOFT (1-800-642-7676) in the US or 877-568-2495 in Canada. For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary [i.e., in other regions] for support issues relating to security updates, visit the following Microsoft International Support website: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=4

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-04-01T19:47:01+00:00

    Well, the fact that KB2524375 is listed in Update History is a good sign, at least, but certainly no indication that your issues are any near being resolved.

    Now I want you to check your WindowsUpdate.log (%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log) for errors. See... 

       How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file

       http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

    1. Restart your computer and wait 30 minutes or so, then open the log.
    2. Starting at the very bottom (end) of the log, copy/paste the last (bottom-most) 50 lines or so (but certainly not the entire log!) into a reply to this post.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-04-01T16:29:15+00:00

    1.  Yes.  The quoted behavior still persists.  This seems to be the root of the problem.

    2.  Yes.  As I stated above, after MANUALLY checking for updates this morning, then downloading/installing, KB2524375 is now listed in my "Installed Updates" section.

    3.  Re:  "Update History".  As I stated above, not a single update had occurred since 3/15/11 via Automatic Updates.  The only updates that had occurred were for MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials), which updated automatically every day since 3/15/11.  It wasn't until I MANUALLY clicked "Check Online for Updates from Microsoft Updates" that I got KB2524375, which is the only non-MSE that now shows up in my "Update History".

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-04-01T15:38:35+00:00

    ...my Windows Update page still says "You receive updates:" "Managed by your system administrator" instead of "For Windows and other products from Microsoft Update."

    1. May we assume that the quoted behavior above still persists?
    2. Open [View] Installed Updates: Is KB2524375 listed here?
    3. Now open Update History (which should no longer be empty/blank). Per my earlier post, you should see any Failed or Successful updates (since 15 Mar-11) listed, as well as whether the (attempted) install was done via Windows Update or Automatic Updates (IIRC).

      • What, if any, updates have successfully installed via Automatic Updatessince 15 March? (post the KB number[s]; ignore any listings for KB2310138)

      • Write down the KB number(s) of any Failed update(s) listed and the error number(s) associated with the failure(s) (e.g., 0x80072EFF; 0xC80003FA; 0x8024402F; 0x800705B4; 0x80070005; 0x8007F0F4).

    
    REPOSTING: I still *suspect* this behavior is due to having failed to run the McAfee removal tool before installing MSE *and before* installing any/all Windows Updates. Your only recourse
    *may be* either a Repair Install (AKA In-Place Upgrade) or a clean install of Win7.
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-04-01T14:55:49+00:00

    @PA Bear:

    No.

    While MSE has updated every day since I last posted here, Windows Update has not (last installation in Update History was 3/14/11).

    So I went to Control Panel, Windows Update, and clicked "Check Online for Updates from Microsoft Updates".  Within a few seconds, KB2524375 was listed as the "1 Important Update" to download and install.

    So I did.  No problems.  It's now properly listed in Update History as "Successful" (along with the "1 Optional Update" which I also downloaded and installed, a "Definition Update" for MSE, KB2310138).

    My Update Status is now the standard green check mark that says "Windows is up to date".

    So the problem is the same.  I can update manually by clicking "Check Online for Updates from Microsoft Updates", but Windows Update doesn't do it automatically (while MSE does).

    As before.

    Five

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments