"Security Essentials" updates automatically, "Windows Update" does not?

Anonymous
2011-03-14T18:58:28+00:00

Hi:

I bought a new Dell last month pre-installed with Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit).

I immediately downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials (after removing via Control Panel a trial version of McAfee, I believe it was, which I never enabled/activated) to use as my Security Suite.

According to my "View Update History", Microsoft Security Essentials updates automatically every day.

"Windows Update" itself, however, does not.

This is despite the original default settings being in place, i.e., "install updates automatically" is checked.

When I finally noticed this and attempted to manually check for updates, I kept getting the dreaded "server is busy" error code.  This lasted several hours.  When I was finally able to connect, I received a long list of updates to download/install.  However, when I tried to do so, several "Failed" (according to "View Update History"), including some marked "Important".  Further, when I manually check for updates again, these "Failed" updates don't reappear, so I don't know how to get them.

More importantly, I don't understand why "Microsoft Security Essentials" updates automatically and daily and without problem, while "Windows Updates", though set to update automatically, does not?

True, my computer is turned off at 3:00AM (the default update time), but my understanding is that the update should then occur (delayed) the next time the computer is turned on.

I've read several of the questions/answers here, and have tried most of what was suggested - for example:

  • My internet connection is obviously working fine.
  • I have no "Proxy Server".
  • I ran "TDSSKiller" and there was no threat found.
  • I also run the Microsoft "Fix Tool", which shows that something was fixed, but it has no effect.  And every time I run it, it apparently "fixes" the same thing.  To no effect.

I ran Windows Update again manually before posting here, and it seems to have worked okay, but why does it not work automatically?

Thanks,

Five

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-07T00:25:30+00:00

If all were well with your computer: 

  1. You should not be getting 80072EE2 errors [1] when running a manual check for updates assuming your User Account has the requisite Permissions.
  2. You should not be seeing any "Managed by your system administrator" if your User Account has the requisite Permissions. [2]
  3. KB2572077 should be installed IMHO, especially if Win7 SP1 is installed. [3]

I appreciate your help...but let's not (both) let this become a full-time career!

Computer security is my full-time career! <wink> [although I'm a volunteer here]

===============================================================

[1] See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941 

[2] Start | Control Panel | Windows Update | Change settings (left-hand menu) | Allow all users to install updates on this computer <=check/enable this option | OK your way out & Reboot | Make sure the option is still checked/enabled.

[3] For home users, no-charge support for security updates (only!) is available by calling 1-800-MICROSOFT (1-800-642-7676) in the US or 877-568-2495 in Canada. For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary [i.e., in other regions] for support issues relating to security updates, visit the following Microsoft International Support website: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=4

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-05-17T00:11:32+00:00

    If you have MSE and WD, WD MUST be disabled as it is during the MSE installation process.

    What Error codes?

    The problem is most likely with your Windows Update processing since MSE uses the same function.

    Please check this out and see if it helps.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

    Quick questions:

    1.         What exactly happens when you try to download using Google Chrome?

    2.         Do you get any error messages?

    3.         Why do you think that Microsoft Security Essentials might be blocking the downloads?

    4.     Did you make any changes on the computer prior to the issue?

    5.     Are you able to download from other browsers?

    To get any assistance with Microsoft Security Essentials,  I would suggest you to post a query in the Microsoft Security Essentials forum site:

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-04-07T20:56:39+00:00

    MS was paid for the os with my money.  MS gets paid for every copy of it by the PC maker, who builds the cost into the price just as if it was a processor or similar.  If the CPU gives erroneous results does the blame go the the PC maker or the CPU maker?

    I just expect something more clear than:  3 places to click to do the exact same function, 2 of which get 1 result, one gets an entirely different result, and zero explanation of anything about this (exactly why are there 3 places to click anyway?)  And the fact is someone changed a setting to be like it would be in an enterprise environment, and very different than a home environment.  Someone that really knows this stuff can, given an hour or so, eventually figure it out with the help of various 3rd party help sites.  And they have seen this before they said, had been a while.  She finally worked thru some posts, and found the issue, and asked, did you ever use this on a continual basic at your work office, on their network?  Cause it thinks it should be on a corporate network.  Once you get to this and see it and have a basic understanding, it's obvious.  So, the software and the help text of the error message should give a clue, is all I am saying,  Not to mention their fixit thing ran, said it finds problems, fixed them, and all should be well.  And it fixed nothing.   I do not find anything about it acceptable.  I am fairly convinced that MS could have issued something much more helpful, if only they cared enough to actually want to be helpful.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-04-07T19:51:54+00:00

    They write the os...

    <Devil's Advocate> Yes, but you didn't purchase the OS or the computer from Microsoft, did you?

    Similarly (and recalls notwithstanding), is Ford Motor Company responsible for a "refurbished" 2012 Explorer you bought from a used car dealer (even if it was a Ford dealer) who'd rolled back the odometer?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-04-07T19:14:36+00:00

    They write the os.  When an important feature like receiving updates does not work, even though the user window setting are correct, that's an issue.  This is "home premium" and should be geared to home users.  Typical home user has no clue what a 'group policy' is.  Then there are 3 places to click the manually get updates - all on the same window.  Click on one and it will go look for, and return updates.  The other 2, gives you 80072EE2 error.  So why are there 3 places to click to perform the same action, and no explanation as to any difference?  Why does one act differently?  This alone is bizarre.  why is the actual cause of the problem not attached to this error anywhere on the MS site?  There are many possible causes but not all are spelled out.  And I have to think it is possible for the os to see variations in the actions and give more precise error information.  

    Sorry, I expect better.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments