How to change monitor assignment in a dual monitor environment

Anonymous
2011-02-12T01:26:15+00:00

I have two monitors attached to my Windows 7 computer - a viewsonic monitor and an panasonic plasma tv.

Before I installed the tv - my Viewsonic sonic was the primary monitor. However, for some unknown reason - when I connected my Panasonic plasma tv to my video card - Windows made the TV as the number 1 primary monitor and my viewsonic as the secondary number 2 monitor.

How can I get Windows 7 to reverse those assignments? I want my Viewsonic monitor as the primary, number one monitor.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-02-17T18:49:52+00:00

When you rt click the desktop and select Screen Resolution, you will be presented with a window showing the two monitors, simply click/hold one of the montors shown and drag it to the required position.

There are also other options, eg Identify, and Display, use the drop down to select the display (monitor) to use as the 'main' display (Some options only impact if you are using Extended Display and not Duplicate display

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-08-30T09:46:12+00:00

    apperently swapping cables physically resolves the issue.

    w7 favors DVI over VGA

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-07-06T03:52:10+00:00

    I was able to switch the designations on Windows 10 with an Nvidia NVS 450 quad card.  I shut off the computer and unplugged all HDMI cables.  I plugged in the monitor I wanted as number 1 into the video card outlet closest to the edge of the box.  I turned on the computer, let everything load and then went to Display settings and clicked Identify.  It was identified as 1.  

    With the computer still on, I then plugged in the second monitor into the second outlet in the video card.  Checked the display settings and everything was still okay.  After reboot, the change still took.

    Hope this helps someone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-02-05T23:32:02+00:00

    Been there, tried that, didn't work.

    Try This

    1. Turn off your secondary display
    2. Go to display settings, there probably will be only one display left - your monitor, and it will be marked as 1
    3. Restart your pc
    4. After logging back in go display settings, make sure settings are same as in step 2
    5. Connect your secondary display

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-02-04T02:33:17+00:00

    No one seems to get it. The problem ...is not being able to CHANGE THE MONITOR NUMBERS....period. Windows 7 obviously has a fault that you CAN NOT change the numbers that Windows automatically assigns to the monitors/displays in a multi display setup. The "change display settings on multiple monitors" article, while good willed, is useless in regards to this problem. Microsoft needs to put out a fix for this that allows users to assign the monitor numbers themselves as there are many situations where this is critical to applications and programs to function correctly. I am having a MAJOR problem on our dual monitor systems at work because of this bug. COME ON MICROSOFT....GET ON IT ALREADY. This in not a new problem.

    I have multiple apps which require the monitors to be "flipped." Wouldn't it be easy to add a parameter in the "Details" Section of Properties, such as "UsrAssignedMonID" ?

    Agree, get on with it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments