Atapi - Event ID:11 - The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

Anonymous
2009-11-01T15:15:19+00:00

I am getting following error in my event viewer log:

Log Name:      System

Source:        atapi

Date:          11/1/2009 1:18:38 AM

Event ID:      11

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      hendrim-PC

Description:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

  <System>

    <Provider Name="atapi" />

    <EventID Qualifiers="49156">11</EventID>

    <Level>2</Level>

    <Task>0</Task>

    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-11-01T05:18:38.899Z" />

    <EventRecordID>53536</EventRecordID>

    <Channel>System</Channel>

    <Computer>hendrim-PC</Computer>

    <Security />

  </System>

  <EventData>

    <Data>\Device\Ide\IdePort0</Data>

    <Binary>0000100001000000000000000B0004C002000000850100C00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000004100000</Binary>

  </EventData>

</Event>

Anyone any idea what is causing this?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-01-15T10:35:42+00:00

I replaced all the cables and the hard disk however I get the same Error (money wasted).

When you start the PC and get "PIO MODE" in Computer/Manage/Device Manager/IDE ADA ATAPI Controllers/ATA Chanel X/Properties/Advanced Settings is the cause your PC is freezed.

My "temporal" solution for this problem is:

1-Shut down the PC.

2-Pick Up and Put the Hard Disk cable in the same port of the motherboard

3-Start the PC and review in the Advanced Settings box -> "Ultra DMA Mode 6"; at this moment you can work without problems.

* If you can exchange your motherboard (while under warranty) DO IT!

-.- We all will be WAITING that Microsoft get a solution to force the start up from "PIO MODE" to "ULTRA DMA 6"

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-03-28T18:48:33+00:00

    This might be the problem with my Sony Vaio VGN-AR630E. It came with two physical drives and Vista home premium. If I put anything on the second drive, anytime I attempt to use whatever I put there, the computer immediately gets extremely slow. I also get Atapi - Event ID:11 - The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort2. I deleted all partitions when I recently installed Windows 7 home premium, and Windows 7 created a 100MB partition on the second drive. I tried to use the rest of the drive for an E: drive to store music files, and the problem came right back. I stopped using the second drive and the problem went away again. I thought I had this problem solved a few times before, so I don't want to say it's gone yet. Putting the music files back on the C: drive and deleting the partition containing the E: drive seems to be working for now. Ultimately, I'd like to use that available space but I'm not so sure I want to risk messing up what is now working to try your advice. Unless I run out of space on C:, I may just leave it this way.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-02-20T19:31:06+00:00

    I had this problem too. Solved it by re-installing ATA channels 0 and 1. Go to device manager--> IDE ATA\ATAPI Controllers--> and delete ATA channel0 (2x) and ATA channel1 (2x). Reboot and check event logs for errors.

    Hope this helps.

    good luck

    This is good advice that lead me to the root cause of my problem.  Not the ATAPI controllers of the motherboard, but an adaptec 1220SA with two mirrored drives.  Deleted in device manager under "Disk Drives", (not IDE ATA....) restarted, installed newer driver, clicked restart and done the job.

    Good going there :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-02-19T08:47:53+00:00

    Hey guys,

    I realize this is an old thread, but I think the answer for some of you may be in how your IDE drive is configured.  When running a single drive using cable select, the drive must be attached to the middle connector on an 80-pin IDE cable, not the end, otherwise Windows will generate an error.  If your cable isn't long enough, change your jumper to MASTER, and connect the drive to the end of the cable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-02-18T23:28:51+00:00

    Hi all.  I think I might have solved this.  First, let me list my hardware (mine is no more than 4 months old, except the disks)

    • Intel DG41TY board
    • Quad core duo 2.7GHz CPU
    • 4 GB RAM
    • 4 hard disks: 250GB SATA, 1TB SATA, 160GB SATA & 60GB IDE
    • 1 IDE CD ROM
    • W7 Ultimate, freshly installed on a newly created partition on the 250GB disk when I bought the board & cpu.

    The 250GB disk is about 2 yrs old, the 1TB is about 6 months old, the 160GB about 3 yrs old and the 60GB perhaps is 5+ yrs old.

    I have been dealing with the "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePortX" error almost inmediately after installing W7, mine on IdePort2, as soon as windows started.  Today I got fed up, so I performed the following:

    • Disconnected for good the 60GB IDE disk (rather old, perhaps I'll try to reconnect it in the future)
    • Changed the IDE cable for the CD ROM.  I had the 80 wire type and now I am using a 40 wire type.
    • My board has 4 SATA ports and as I was able to inferr they work in pairs, so I left the 1 TB drive completely alone on the 2nd SATA bank.
    • Separated the disks & CD ROM at least 1 inch apart from each other, physically within the case.

    VOILA!!!

    Now no more error messages or momentary freeze-ups!!!  I had some other error of VOLMGR dumping (something like that) and even this one is gone.

    I don't know if got it fixed for good or not, but my money is on I did.  I don't know either if only 1 or 2 or 3 or all 4 things helped, but I hope any of the above might help you all.  I will post again if anything happens.

    Good luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments