Atapi - Event ID:11 - The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

Anonymous
2009-11-01T15:15:19+00:00

I am getting following error in my event viewer log:

Log Name:      System

Source:        atapi

Date:          11/1/2009 1:18:38 AM

Event ID:      11

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      hendrim-PC

Description:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

  <System>

    <Provider Name="atapi" />

    <EventID Qualifiers="49156">11</EventID>

    <Level>2</Level>

    <Task>0</Task>

    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-11-01T05:18:38.899Z" />

    <EventRecordID>53536</EventRecordID>

    <Channel>System</Channel>

    <Computer>hendrim-PC</Computer>

    <Security />

  </System>

  <EventData>

    <Data>\Device\Ide\IdePort0</Data>

    <Binary>0000100001000000000000000B0004C002000000850100C00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000004100000</Binary>

  </EventData>

</Event>

Anyone any idea what is causing this?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-01-15T10:35:42+00:00

I replaced all the cables and the hard disk however I get the same Error (money wasted).

When you start the PC and get "PIO MODE" in Computer/Manage/Device Manager/IDE ADA ATAPI Controllers/ATA Chanel X/Properties/Advanced Settings is the cause your PC is freezed.

My "temporal" solution for this problem is:

1-Shut down the PC.

2-Pick Up and Put the Hard Disk cable in the same port of the motherboard

3-Start the PC and review in the Advanced Settings box -> "Ultra DMA Mode 6"; at this moment you can work without problems.

* If you can exchange your motherboard (while under warranty) DO IT!

-.- We all will be WAITING that Microsoft get a solution to force the start up from "PIO MODE" to "ULTRA DMA 6"

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-01-13T00:07:22+00:00

    I got the same error, but a faulty file from the latest patch of The Witcher 3 was the culprit. I don't know why.

    Edit: Nah. I got the error again on the Starting Windows screen on 02/16.

    Nice to see that no one was able to have a answer or a fix for this issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-31T10:45:47+00:00

    I actually re-plugged the SATA cable to a different slot. The error stopped. Not sure if it was due to that.

    BTW Now I'm on Linux (Ubuntu),  as I dislike the way the Windows is moving away from desktop. Seeing, Android and Linux.. I feel somehow reluctant to use Windows OS..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-12-31T05:59:31+00:00

    Hi my system went through with the same problem (ATAPI Error Event ID 11).

    I googled for the same and applied all tips and tricks and it took me around 5 days to finally arrive to a solution.

    I tried :

    1. Hard disk diagnose (error checking under properties>tools of selected drive)
    2. Disk Defragmentation
    3. tried changing hard disk

    But did not get any success.

    Success : I installed "Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver" and after that i didnt get any such error and sytem performance increased to a gtreat level.

    Note : Though the above two steps didn't solve my problems but you can go for these steps as this will increase performance of you system,

    Also Hard Disk diagnose may take one full night so be patient.

    Hope it helps..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-14T12:44:07+00:00

    I was dealing with this problem for a while till I decided to take a look @ BIOS after checking cables. I have an ASUS P6x58D Premium, there is a setting for the timeout period on ATA devices, I had it set to 0 seconds. Once I changed it to 5, no more lockups. Keep in mind that I have no IDE devices, everything is SATA2 or 3. I hope others see this because these microsoft support people, for the most part, do nothing but research KB, and regurgitate **** via copy and paste. No analytical skills whatsoever.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments