TCP IPv4 DNS server address keeps changing to a specific IP address (preventing internet access)

Anonymous
2010-02-13T10:41:11+00:00

TCP IPv4 DNS server address keeps changing to a specific IP address (preventing internet access) when I need it to stay obtain address automatically

Control panel

Network and internet

Network connections

Wireless network connection

Wireless network connection properties

Internet protocol v 4 TCP/IPv4 properties

Sony laptop nearly new, windows 7, didnt have any problem until last week, have not changed any settings that i am aware of. One day I just could not get on the net.  Good signal to wireless router  but no internet access.  Eventually tracked prob down to above, each time i switch on i have to go back in to Internet protocol V 4 properties and select obtain DNS server address automatically

If I am on line for a reasonable length of time i have also noticed (once) it changed during a session

How can i get it to stay on obtain DNS server address automatically

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-14T01:29:45+00:00

Hi,

How long have you been facing this issue?

I would suggest you to scan your computer for virus and check if it helps, it might be a virus issue.

  You can also try performing online complete PC virus scan on your computer and check if it helps, here is the link:

 http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

 Please respond back with the status of the issue and let us know if you have any issues.

  Azam – Microsoft Support.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-06-12T14:53:36+00:00

    Greetings sports fans!

    Hey, this same issue is occurring with Windows 7 on my home network.  It happens on three Windows 7 systems (two laptops and one desktop) but not on the XP systems. 

    What I know:

    It's not a virus or rootkit infection.

    It's not resetting to an external IP  (resets to 192.168.1.200)

    It IS resetting to what was once (a year ago) a valid DNS value.

    Windows is remembering this value from some historical data stored somewhere.

    I've reset the TCP/IP stack.

    I've manually blown out every registry entry for TCP/IP that has this value in it.

    It happens even when plugged directly into the cable modem, so not hardware on the network is feeding this value.

    These are not Sony systems so the Sony fix won't work for us.

    Where is Windows 7 pulling this value from?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-05-23T07:31:25+00:00

    Thanks for this, really helpful!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-05-08T04:08:07+00:00

    Thank you very very much for this answer. It's obvious when you see it, but this annoying problem has been driving me up the wall for the past 6 months (64bit Vaio FW57 running Windows 7). I had even started searching and destroying every instance I could find of the fixed DNS address in the registry and it kept reappearing. It was the address of my original Billion modem/router at the time I first set-up the Vaio.

    Has anyone told Vaio what they have done? Up to now I have been laying the blame with Windows 7, which I'd found otherwerwise to be very stable and error-free.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-03-31T21:05:34+00:00

    Super helpful, thanks for solving an extremely annoying issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments