TCP IPv4 DNS server address keeps changing to a specific IP address (preventing internet access)

Anonymous
2010-02-13T10:41:11+00:00

TCP IPv4 DNS server address keeps changing to a specific IP address (preventing internet access) when I need it to stay obtain address automatically

Control panel

Network and internet

Network connections

Wireless network connection

Wireless network connection properties

Internet protocol v 4 TCP/IPv4 properties

Sony laptop nearly new, windows 7, didnt have any problem until last week, have not changed any settings that i am aware of. One day I just could not get on the net.  Good signal to wireless router  but no internet access.  Eventually tracked prob down to above, each time i switch on i have to go back in to Internet protocol V 4 properties and select obtain DNS server address automatically

If I am on line for a reasonable length of time i have also noticed (once) it changed during a session

How can i get it to stay on obtain DNS server address automatically

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-14T01:29:45+00:00

Hi,

How long have you been facing this issue?

I would suggest you to scan your computer for virus and check if it helps, it might be a virus issue.

  You can also try performing online complete PC virus scan on your computer and check if it helps, here is the link:

 http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

 Please respond back with the status of the issue and let us know if you have any issues.

  Azam – Microsoft Support.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-08-12T14:53:36+00:00

    Thanks VivienBaumard - this worked for me. I'm on Dell optiplex 9020 and none of the other fixes were any use until I reached this...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-05-09T09:47:07+00:00

    Ivan,

    I have been trying to troubleshoot this (exact same issue) for a while. Well done, legend!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-30T12:36:20+00:00

    Paul,

    I've turned off my wireless and disconnected my LAN (which I think is causing the problem).  The computer will let me delete all my wireless connections, but not the LAN.   The LAN is telling me it's still in use and only give me the option to merge. I hooked back in on the LAN so I could ask for advice.

    Thanks,

    Dan

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-09-20T19:26:45+00:00

    None of these tips worked for me but I finally found what was causing the problem in my case. Actually, I opened the tasks manager on the processes tab and found a process called "DNShelper" so I closed it and then set the DNS on automatic and it didn't get back to that 127.0.0.1 adress again. When I restarted my computer, the problem came back and after looking in the active processes, I could see that "DNShelper" runing again. So I looked in the properties of that process and it was an .exe file located in Program files in a folder called "Penwes". After removing that ****, everything worked fine again.

    I have to precise that none of my anti-malware or anti-virus programs detected this file as a **** !

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments