TCP IPv4 DNS server address keeps changing to a specific IP address (preventing internet access)

Anonymous
2010-02-13T10:41:11+00:00

TCP IPv4 DNS server address keeps changing to a specific IP address (preventing internet access) when I need it to stay obtain address automatically

Control panel

Network and internet

Network connections

Wireless network connection

Wireless network connection properties

Internet protocol v 4 TCP/IPv4 properties

Sony laptop nearly new, windows 7, didnt have any problem until last week, have not changed any settings that i am aware of. One day I just could not get on the net.  Good signal to wireless router  but no internet access.  Eventually tracked prob down to above, each time i switch on i have to go back in to Internet protocol V 4 properties and select obtain DNS server address automatically

If I am on line for a reasonable length of time i have also noticed (once) it changed during a session

How can i get it to stay on obtain DNS server address automatically

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-14T01:29:45+00:00

Hi,

How long have you been facing this issue?

I would suggest you to scan your computer for virus and check if it helps, it might be a virus issue.

  You can also try performing online complete PC virus scan on your computer and check if it helps, here is the link:

 http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

 Please respond back with the status of the issue and let us know if you have any issues.

  Azam – Microsoft Support.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-03-30T18:47:36+00:00

    I’ve found the answer. At Least for Sony VAIO under Windows 7. In order to get the TCP/IP V4 settings to stay either at obtain DNS Server automatically or at fixed IP addresses you need to edit the profile. To do this you need to do the following:

    1. Start Vaio Control Centre from the all programs menu.
    2. Select Network Connections
    3. Select Vaio Smart Network.
    4. Click on advanced
    5. Click on Settings (quickly before the Window disappears)
    6. Click on Profile Settings
    7. Select the profile you are using
    8. Click Edit
    9. Select IP and DNS
    10. Select Obtain DNS Server Automatically or specify OpenDNS addresses.
    11. Click Finsh

    and thats it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-10-09T16:29:09+00:00

    Apparently Network Locations (A.K.A. Profiles) can manage your IPv4 settings and potentially cause undesired effects such as the one you have described here, and which I too have experienced. We have a couple of laptops in our office that were randomly reverting to an old manual DNS setting we used temporarily during a server upgrade nearly a year ago. I'm sure Windows created a new profile when I changed the DNS to static, and randomly used that profile whenever the machines connected internally.

    Deleting Network Locations will remove any offending profiles.

    This is the very short "down and dirty" version for Windows 7:

    Log on with the proper administrator permissions.

    Go to Network and Sharing Center.

    Under View your active networks, click the icon on the left next to your network name.

    When the Set Network Properties window open click the Merge or delete network locations.

    At this time, unplug any network cables and turn off wireless. You cannot delete a network that is in use.

    Delete the network location you think is causing the settings to change, (or delete them all like I did.). Windows will then automatically create a new Network Location the next time you connect. (This will not un-join a PC from a domain or forget stored wifi passwords, etc.)

    Close out and go back to the Network and Sharing Center. On the left click Change adapter settings

    Right click on your network adapter and select Properties.

    Right click on your Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4 and select Properties.

    Set to IP and DNS to obtain address automatically. Click advanced and make sure you don't have residual garbage in the DNS and WINS tabs. These should probably always be be blank if you are exclusively using DHCP.

    Rinse and repeat for any other offending NICs or wireless adapters.

    Reconnect to your network(s)

    The profile(s) will rebuild itself with the current IPv4 adapter settings as it's default.

    If you have a work profile for example that requires static IPv4 settings, and other connections using the same network adapter with DHCP then all bets are off. You may need to use something like NetSetMan to easily manage and switch between profiles on the fly.

    Good luck and hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-03-12T19:10:37+00:00

    I got this answer in my thread, it worked for me

    Hi caro890,

    I'd suggest you to reset TCP/IP stack and check if this helps.

    To reset the TCP/IP stack go to this article and either click on "Fix it for me" or follow the instructions to fix it yourself (If the Fix it button doesn't work then try the manual method)

     http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357 .

    Hope this information is helpful.

    Umesh P - Microsoft Support

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-01-21T19:18:37+00:00

    I'm having the same problem. I have no virus issues. I checked. My thing is.... I have no problems connecting wirelessly anywhere except when I go onto my community colleges campus. When I try to get on their internet... my laptop (Dell Studio/Windows 7) see's their network with no problems but I have to go to my property settings for TCP/IPv4 and put the checkmark in the 'Connect Automatically' for the DNS setting in order to get on. Has anyone come up with a solution? This is getting old real freakin fast.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments