Startup Repair -- how long is too long?

Anonymous
2010-03-17T13:27:39+00:00

I'm trying Startup Repair on a Windows Vista laptop that won't start up after having reportedly been shut down normally, after what sounded like a Trojan attack.  (Not sure what happened to it exactly, but my friend wasn't running antivirus software!)

Startup Repair says "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete," but it's been running for about 9 hours now, and trying to Cancel it yields the message "The current repair operation cannot be cancelled" -- is it still actually doing anything? Would it be worth it to let Startup Repair run any longer?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-02-04T04:23:51+00:00

Sorry for not getting back to this thread at the time. In the case of the laptop I was having trouble with, the hard drive had to be replaced. I don't know whether the HD was the cause of the original problem, or shutting down the Startup Repair process damaged the HD.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-11-18T16:03:39+00:00

    I gave up on Windows Startup Repair after over an hour.  I was hesitant, but powered down anyway.  Researching further I found that BCDEDIT didn't have proper values for DEVICE and OSDEVICE for my Windows 7 installation.  BCDEDIT showed "unknown" for both of these. 

    I fixed this quickly by running Microsoft's BOOTREC /RebuildBcd in the Windows Recovery Environment.  See:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-02-28T19:41:44+00:00

    I'm having a problem with my samsung laptop atm, it kept getting stuck at 2% so I've switched it off and tried again 3 times and it moves no further than 2% despite being left for over an hour each time?! Help?!?!?!?!i

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-04-26T03:49:15+00:00

    I have had this going on my computer for over 10 hours and it is still saying the same thing. so I am mean if 3.5 days is going to fix it then I am going to wait that long and if it still goes on from then I will have to figure something else out but thank you for the information

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-03-18T17:58:53+00:00

    It's good to have a resource like that to help you.  It's unusual for a clean install to factory conditions to make things worse, but it sometimes happens.  It could be a hardware or device driver issue - but I'm sure the technicians at the school will be able to help you.

    Good luck!


    Lorien - MCSE/MCSA/Network+/A+ --- If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments