msg.exe / netsend - anything availible on Windows 7?

Anonymous
2009-10-27T01:36:10+00:00

On XP, I used to communicate through my network for fun via netsend. 

I've googled, and apparently msg.exe replaced it in vista?

What about Win7?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-28T00:53:42+00:00

Hi Shankopotamus,

Welcome to Microsoft Windows 7 Forums.

Windows 7 does not support msg.exe and net send commands to send messages over network.

Hope this information is helpful.

Suresh G

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-10-02T23:12:53+00:00

    Hello, really old post. I'm wondering if you could upload that msg.exe file to dropbox or something so I can download it? the only other machines I have in the house are Win8 and 10.  The system I am trying to get it to work on is 7 Home Premium.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-08-01T04:18:45+00:00

    ... it's just the username I'm trying to work out for the other PC which I'm having difficulty with.  I've now got it to give me an error of 'unknown username or bad password'.

    Always use quotes around usernames; it's a good habit if you like to use a variable containing the user name. If the username contains spaces, it'll treat every word after the first as another parameter. I'll bet this is what's causing your problem.

    MSG.exe is usable on all editions of Windows. Just make sure you can find it in the system root (C:\Windows\System32). If it's not there, you can copy it over from a computer that does have it. (Afaik, there aren't any prerequisite dependencies.) It may not always be found, but it's always usable if you have it.

    And yes, you can send it over the network, not just on the local machine. Like so...

    msg "Trevor Ray" /SERVER:OTHERCOMPUTERNAME Hello you silly willy.

    Use the /SERVER option to specify which computer to send it to. If omitted, it will just send the message locally (on the same computer it's running).

    You can see your computer name in the System section of the Control Panel. (Windows Key + Pause/Break)

    In this case, my computer's name is "Pantheon."

    I've got it running just fine on three computers; two are Ultimate, and one is Home. All of them can send messages to each other just fine using this.

    If you need to send messages between networks (over the internet), I guess you could use a VPN to hook networks together... I dunno. Never tried it.

    Here's the output from msg /? (The help dialogue)

    Send a message to a user.

    MSG {username | sessionname | sessionid | @filename | *} [/SERVER:servername] [/TIME:seconds] [/V] [/W] [message]

      username            Identifies the specified username.

      sessionname         The name of the session.

      sessionid           The ID of the session.

      @filename           Identifies a file containing a list of usernames, sessionnames, and sessionids to send the message to.

      *                   Send message to all sessions on specified server.

      /SERVER:servername  server to contact (default is current).

      /TIME:seconds       Time delay to wait for receiver to acknowledge msg.

      /V                  Display information about actions being performed.

      /W                  Wait for response from user, useful with /V.

      message             Message to send.  If none specified, prompts for it or reads from stdin.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-07-31T10:29:06+00:00

    Actually Peter, its not a stupid response.  Maybe 'Suresh/Syed N' has answered the problem correctly, at least for bradmac65.  He is trying to use msg.exe to send the message ACROSS A NETWORK to another pc.  And it cant be done, as the man says (except for PROFESSIONAL and BUSINESS versions).  (We have sent messages with msg.exe to a LOCAL machine but not to a network machine.)

    @bradmac65:  does this help?  http://www.cezeo.com/tips-and-tricks/msg-command/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-07-31T09:16:15+00:00

    Hi Shankopotamus,

    Welcome to Microsoft Windows 7 Forums.

    Windows 7 does not support msg.exe and net send commands to send messages over network.

     

    Hope this information is helpful.

     

    Suresh G

    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

    I cannot believe such a stupid response!!!!  WE KNOW THAT!  That's why we're asking for a solution!!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments