Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card.

Anonymous
2009-06-20T14:51:43+00:00

I am having difficulty watching DVD on Windows Media Player Inspiron Dell Laptop.  I get so far into the dvd and then the playback stops and the CD/DVD drive starts making a noise that sounds like the DVD is either stuck or catching, this has happened a couple of times burning CD's to itunes.  I can eject the DVD and when I do I get the following error message

Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card.

I.ve used the windows web help, I've downloaded the latest driver from Dell (nVidia) which is also the advice given on one the forum pages but still getting the same problem. I've also downloaded the Windows Automatic Fix application but this has not resolved it either.  I am using Windows Vista.

Can you help!!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-06-21T02:01:15+00:00

Hi Dansue,

Thank you for posting on the forum.

Sounds like you’re CD\DVD drive is starting to fail. Check with Dell to see if they have an updated firmware and Driver for your CD\DVD drive.  Uninstall the current driver that windows is using and install the updated one.  If you’re still hearing that catching sound, then it’s more likely that you’re CD\DVD drive needs to be changed.

Hope that helps, please post back and let us know.


JohnD

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-02-10T11:50:29+00:00

    Well, I'll have to eat my words.  After that rather lengthy submittal, I was looking for any other solutions.   And lo and behold, one appeared.  It's a program called AnyDVD HD made by SlySoft.com.  You can get the details at their web site.  But basically, AnyDVD operates in the background.  Once the program is installed, it activates when you start up Windows Media Player, RealPlayer or any other Video program.  Unfortunately, it is somewhat expensive.  It costs $63 for a one year subscription, $79 for a two year subscription and up.  The company has been around since 2003.  But, if there is one company on the market, there may be others.  SlySoft does give you a 21 day trial period.

    This cured my problems with the "Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card ." error message**.**   I haven't made up my mind about purchasing it yet.  I'm not sure if the cost is worth being able to watch DVDs on my computer.

    I apologize if my previous posting caused any confusion.****

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-12-14T19:53:25+00:00

    What edition of Vista are you using, not all editions of Vista play DVD's in Windows Media Player?

    Have you looked at the Codec side of things?

    Vista Codec Package v5.4.3 Final  

    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Vista_Codec_Package_d5326.html

    Basically, the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack will play every video file on this planet.

    K-Lite Mega Codec Pack

    K-Lite Codec Pack Full (Less features)"

    K-Lite Mega Codec Pack

    http://www.google.com/search?q=K-Lite+Mega+Codec+Pack&rls=com.microsoft:

    http://www.google.com/search?q=wmp+cannot+play+dvd+vista&rls=com.microsoft:en-au&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-08-02T20:02:59+00:00

    Your error message gets a goodly number of hits on Google, have you checked any of them out?

    http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Windows+Media+Player+cannot+play+this+DVD+because+there+is+a+problem+with+digital+copy+protection+between+your+DVD+drive%2C+decoder%2C+and+video+card%22&rls=com.microsoft:en-au&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

    Video pixilation playing DVD’s with Windows Media Player 11

    http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1561037&page=1

    One common thing I seem to see in these type of posts I read is the proliferation of other DVD software running on the same machine.  Perhaps there is a conflict between them and Windows Media Player?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-06-21T02:33:53+00:00

    hey sumbody answer my question please...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments