Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card.

Anonymous
2009-06-20T14:51:43+00:00

I am having difficulty watching DVD on Windows Media Player Inspiron Dell Laptop.  I get so far into the dvd and then the playback stops and the CD/DVD drive starts making a noise that sounds like the DVD is either stuck or catching, this has happened a couple of times burning CD's to itunes.  I can eject the DVD and when I do I get the following error message

Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card.

I.ve used the windows web help, I've downloaded the latest driver from Dell (nVidia) which is also the advice given on one the forum pages but still getting the same problem. I've also downloaded the Windows Automatic Fix application but this has not resolved it either.  I am using Windows Vista.

Can you help!!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-06-21T02:01:15+00:00

Hi Dansue,

Thank you for posting on the forum.

Sounds like you’re CD\DVD drive is starting to fail. Check with Dell to see if they have an updated firmware and Driver for your CD\DVD drive.  Uninstall the current driver that windows is using and install the updated one.  If you’re still hearing that catching sound, then it’s more likely that you’re CD\DVD drive needs to be changed.

Hope that helps, please post back and let us know.


JohnD

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-10-21T02:56:27+00:00

    no this doesn't work. you don't get it do you. i have tried everything. it's not my pc its YOU!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-10-21T02:55:22+00:00

    this is some sort of joke. FIX THIS PROBLEM SO I CAN PLAY DVDs i have paid good money for ! i am sick of this. all i get is bullshit answers like driver update and codec software. BULLSHIT! i am not a **** noob, i know everything is working on my pc. pull your thumb out of your **** microsoft. i use windows 7 and the same error message comes up everytime i try to play a dvd. so what is posted as a resolution above is not working and won't work because everyone has tried it. STOP FEEDING US THIS BULLSHIT AND FIX THE **** PROBLEM. i have never had a problem with this untill i purchased my new computer which in intel mb with intel cpu i use win 7 32 bit. do you get my point yet. i have paid over $1000 AUD for my pc and i can't enjoy a movie which i purchase legally. wtf is with that, if i use a pirated copy it works but you won't let me use a legal copy of a movie which i spend full cost on. $25 for a DVD which won't play and all you give us and a fix is drivel. **** YOU !

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-10-20T19:54:06+00:00

    this answer is bogus. since i got my new windows machine it has not allowed me to view ANY dvds in the player. my dvd drive is new and nothing is wrong with it. however my apple machines play dvd's without issues....

    Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card.

    Same error....tired of Windows and the issues that are consistent with youR OS.

    I DEMAND A FIX

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-10-18T17:52:30+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments