Win 7 Sound recorder- audio recording device cannot be found

Anonymous
2009-11-19T03:42:14+00:00

Fresh install (new drive) of Win 7 Hiome Premium 64 bit on Dell XPS 420 Quad Core.  When I launch sound recorder it gives an error that audio recording device cannot be found.  Mic is plugged in front jack.  This worked with Vista.  I enabled show disabled devices and sho disconnected devices.  Any ideas?  I also tried rear mic jack.  I scanned for hardware changes.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-02T18:19:39+00:00

I did the things you mentioned above:

1.) method 1:  Windows 7 responded that it could not identify the problem

2.) method 2:  checked the show disabled devices and still no devices appear.  It still says no audio devices installed under the recording tab.

3.) method 3:  attempted to update driver and Win 7 reports I have the most up to date driver already

Any ideas?

There is really no other solution than a better driver for the device.


Rating posts helps other usersMark L. Ferguson MS-MVP

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-06-19T11:36:31+00:00

    Thankyou; funny, the simple method is always the best.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-07-12T03:43:33+00:00

    Did this solve the recording internally from a movie disk, cd, or some sound off the internet?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-07-12T04:01:48+00:00

    my solution - uninstall the driver from device manager, check for hardware change, and windows will automatically re-install the drivers, at which time the input device is found. (I've literally tried 5 other ways and none worked...) For reference, I'm on Win7ProSP1.

    every time i uninstall it tell me to restart the computer.

    i restart and i still have sound so i don't think i am uninstalled.

    if i get this to work does it record streaming or just off a plugged in device?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-09-05T00:13:21+00:00

    Hey Hugheser27 

    your hint was extremely helpful and  I fixed it thanks! thanks for all of U

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments