Win 7 Sound recorder- audio recording device cannot be found

Anonymous
2009-11-19T03:42:14+00:00

Fresh install (new drive) of Win 7 Hiome Premium 64 bit on Dell XPS 420 Quad Core.  When I launch sound recorder it gives an error that audio recording device cannot be found.  Mic is plugged in front jack.  This worked with Vista.  I enabled show disabled devices and sho disconnected devices.  Any ideas?  I also tried rear mic jack.  I scanned for hardware changes.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-02T18:19:39+00:00

I did the things you mentioned above:

1.) method 1:  Windows 7 responded that it could not identify the problem

2.) method 2:  checked the show disabled devices and still no devices appear.  It still says no audio devices installed under the recording tab.

3.) method 3:  attempted to update driver and Win 7 reports I have the most up to date driver already

Any ideas?

There is really no other solution than a better driver for the device.


Rating posts helps other usersMark L. Ferguson MS-MVP

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-11-24T03:08:22+00:00

    my solution - uninstall the driver from device manager, check for hardware change, and windows will automatically re-install the drivers, at which time the input device is found. (I've literally tried 5 other ways and none worked...) For reference, I'm on Win7ProSP1.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-12-11T19:38:27+00:00

    lo que pasa es que mi PC no tiene audio.... soy estudiante del SENATI ZONAL LORETO y parece que mi computador es de muy baja calidad.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-12-31T17:44:32+00:00

    [Solved] No recording device found. Dell XPS 420. Windows 7.

    Before:

    In Device Manager, under 'Sound, video and game controllers' if you see the following:

    • Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1250 (Model 79xxx, Hybrid ATSC/QAM)
    • High Definition Audio Device
    • High Definition Audio Device [***** THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM ***** ]

    Download and install the Sigmatel audio driver to fix your microphone. Restart required after install.

    Download and install this driver:

    SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio

    http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=4JDG5&FileId=2731098634

    After:

    • Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1250 (Model 79xxx, Hybrid ATSC/QAM)
    • High Definition Audio Device
    • SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-03-27T23:59:44+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments