Win 7 Sound recorder- audio recording device cannot be found

Anonymous
2009-11-19T03:42:14+00:00

Fresh install (new drive) of Win 7 Hiome Premium 64 bit on Dell XPS 420 Quad Core.  When I launch sound recorder it gives an error that audio recording device cannot be found.  Mic is plugged in front jack.  This worked with Vista.  I enabled show disabled devices and sho disconnected devices.  Any ideas?  I also tried rear mic jack.  I scanned for hardware changes.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-02T18:19:39+00:00

I did the things you mentioned above:

1.) method 1:  Windows 7 responded that it could not identify the problem

2.) method 2:  checked the show disabled devices and still no devices appear.  It still says no audio devices installed under the recording tab.

3.) method 3:  attempted to update driver and Win 7 reports I have the most up to date driver already

Any ideas?

There is really no other solution than a better driver for the device.


Rating posts helps other usersMark L. Ferguson MS-MVP

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-23T18:58:16+00:00

    I recovered an Acer Aspire One Windows 7 Starter Edition which went well. Then I updated my realtek audio driver. Now there is an X over my speaker icon but in admin it says updated driver is there and audio working fine. It isn't. When I run the audio troubleshooter it says not enabled when I try to enable this is what I get. (see screen shot) And, it will not enable. When I click enable it doesn't take when I click apply. Please help. Thanks.  (Screenshot by PickPick.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-23T22:07:10+00:00

    Since you did a fresh install, Windows 7 probably needs to install a lot of updates that most likely will solve the detection issue. I know I did a clean install and it took many Windows updates to detect some of my hardware devices. ( In my case it was Bluetooth support and device detection did not happen until several updates occurred. )

    Driver updates are also recommended after letting Windows finished updating your system.

    Good that you know about checking for "Show disabled & Show disconnected devices" because the device manager doesn't show everything like it did in XP and previous versions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-07-04T09:58:32+00:00

    thanks mr. sharma. really helpfull

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-03-28T14:01:30+00:00

    My recorder finally works thanks to your steering me through.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments