**Shekhar:**Thanks for solutions 1 & 2, I got my missing internal mic back. Number 3 is a last resort. Solution 1 brought it back!
I restored My Acer Aspire 5334 from a system crashed ( virus) and I with the Acer recovery discs. The internal mic worked, until I added a bluetooth headset. I think I selected the Bluetooth as default. I tried system restore and then tried MS FIX IT. Also
it can't detect ext mic or fix it. However It did give me the forum and this solution.
Suggestion: It would have been very helpful if the Disconnected and Disabled device options were either a check box or radio button shown in the recording tab area, instead of right clicking to expose the dialog box with the choices. This would have saved
time and worry, since my disabled devices do not show up in device manager. I, being a computer tech, would not have thought of right clicking to bring up the dialog box and I am sure less knowledgeable would not have thought of it either.
Better yet, would be to show the devices and their status by default, instead of hiding them. Show them just like the device status is shown in device manager with no dialog box at all.