Win 7 Sound recorder- audio recording device cannot be found

Anonymous
2009-11-19T03:42:14+00:00

Fresh install (new drive) of Win 7 Hiome Premium 64 bit on Dell XPS 420 Quad Core.  When I launch sound recorder it gives an error that audio recording device cannot be found.  Mic is plugged in front jack.  This worked with Vista.  I enabled show disabled devices and sho disconnected devices.  Any ideas?  I also tried rear mic jack.  I scanned for hardware changes.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-02T18:19:39+00:00

I did the things you mentioned above:

1.) method 1:  Windows 7 responded that it could not identify the problem

2.) method 2:  checked the show disabled devices and still no devices appear.  It still says no audio devices installed under the recording tab.

3.) method 3:  attempted to update driver and Win 7 reports I have the most up to date driver already

Any ideas?

There is really no other solution than a better driver for the device.


Rating posts helps other usersMark L. Ferguson MS-MVP

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-09-12T08:46:35+00:00

    Fresh install (new drive) of Win 7 Hiome Premium 64 bit on Dell XPS 420 Quad Core.  When I launch sound recorder it gives an error that audio recording device cannot be found.  Mic is plugged in front jack.  This worked with Vista.  I enabled show disabled devices and sho disconnected devices.  Any ideas?  I also tried rear mic jack.  I scanned for hardware changes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-08-25T16:16:43+00:00

    My problem is that I could not record sound from the sound card.  More specifically, I wanted to record sound from the Internet using Easy MP3 Sound Recorder.  It would not do anything in MP3 and, at best, it did a poor job in another format.  Perhaps it was picking up the sound from a microphone.

    SO, I would like to try the vista sound driver.  Where would I be able to find that?  I never had Vista.  I am using Win7 Ultimate.

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-08-19T09:36:28+00:00

    This worked,

    The important thing to do as you have done an action.You should try to record, play, listen, so that you will realise the effect. One good thing is the procedure is little bit tricky when it comes to the search box. It did not prompt me for an Administrator password.

    Thank You Hugheser27

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-08-06T18:51:21+00:00

    i have aproplem in audio recording my desktop is dell optiplex gx520 i need  your help i try the three method

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments