Win 7 Sound recorder- audio recording device cannot be found

Anonymous
2009-11-19T03:42:14+00:00

Fresh install (new drive) of Win 7 Hiome Premium 64 bit on Dell XPS 420 Quad Core.  When I launch sound recorder it gives an error that audio recording device cannot be found.  Mic is plugged in front jack.  This worked with Vista.  I enabled show disabled devices and sho disconnected devices.  Any ideas?  I also tried rear mic jack.  I scanned for hardware changes.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-02T18:19:39+00:00

I did the things you mentioned above:

1.) method 1:  Windows 7 responded that it could not identify the problem

2.) method 2:  checked the show disabled devices and still no devices appear.  It still says no audio devices installed under the recording tab.

3.) method 3:  attempted to update driver and Win 7 reports I have the most up to date driver already

Any ideas?

There is really no other solution than a better driver for the device.


Rating posts helps other usersMark L. Ferguson MS-MVP

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-01-31T22:32:32+00:00

    Where would I get a correct driver to fix this issue with a fujitsu lifebook? I am not comfortable ripping drivers in and out...I've tried everything just like everyone else..sadly I think the best is just go back to XP and start skyping....any suggestions for idiot-proof drivers?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-01-31T22:31:11+00:00

    DECIDED TO JUST BEND OVER AND BUY THE DAMN $40 EXTERNAL SOUND CARD.  I SUGGEST YA'LL BEND OVER TOO...FAST N' EASY...LOL

    PEEEEEAAAAACCCCCEEEEEEEEEEE

    Uhhhh...I am having the same trouble on my fujitsu 6240....i can get a sound card to work skype? That's all i want the darn mic for. What do I buy?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-01-31T20:01:54+00:00

    Ok i managed to solve it for myself by installing a different driver.

    Windows 7 installs a default high definition audio driver of its own which as my previous post said did not see a microphone.

    I went to device manager, to the properties of the high definition audio device, on the advanced option it lets you choose a different driver.

    I tried a few drivers but the 1 that worked for me was the sigmatel 64bit vista driver.

    R157052 or R226903 its called, found it through some links on the dell website.

    Just force overwrite / reboot and windows saw my recording device (mic).

    TLDR:

    Windows default audio device driver could use some tuning or updated versions, its not the right driver in all cases (although it says its working fine) try a few soundcard specific drivers in those cases.

    Basically what mr Ferguson said, although not specifically on what driver etc.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-01-31T01:51:29+00:00

    DECIDED TO JUST BEND OVER AND BUY THE DAMN $40 EXTERNAL SOUND CARD.  I SUGGEST YA'LL BEND OVER TOO...FAST N' EASY...LOL

    PEEEEEAAAAACCCCCEEEEEEEEEEE

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments