Win 7 Sound recorder- audio recording device cannot be found

Anonymous
2009-11-19T03:42:14+00:00

Fresh install (new drive) of Win 7 Hiome Premium 64 bit on Dell XPS 420 Quad Core.  When I launch sound recorder it gives an error that audio recording device cannot be found.  Mic is plugged in front jack.  This worked with Vista.  I enabled show disabled devices and sho disconnected devices.  Any ideas?  I also tried rear mic jack.  I scanned for hardware changes.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-02T18:19:39+00:00

I did the things you mentioned above:

1.) method 1:  Windows 7 responded that it could not identify the problem

2.) method 2:  checked the show disabled devices and still no devices appear.  It still says no audio devices installed under the recording tab.

3.) method 3:  attempted to update driver and Win 7 reports I have the most up to date driver already

Any ideas?

There is really no other solution than a better driver for the device.


Rating posts helps other usersMark L. Ferguson MS-MVP

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-12-08T19:15:39+00:00

    Hi Shekhar,

    I just disabled my microphone option and didn't know how to get it back. Thanks for your (Method 2) i managed to enable it. Thanks a lot


    Roashan . K

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-12-02T16:53:38+00:00

    Can some one help me, I have had a new Mesh machine running fine for about two months, with no issues, then I got an error saying I could not start Windows  7, fixed the problem by running in safe mad and inserting Windows 7 DVD and repairing, the problem is that since then I have no sound at all. I am running a ASUS motherboard  M4A78LT-M which has a VIA audio chip onboard. Over the last few weeks I have tried running old drivers, new drivers, Windows 7 trouble shooter, which says there is no problems and system restore. I have downloaded the drivers from both VIA and ASUS for the audio.I delete the installed driver before installing the new one.I have also intatlled an old set of speaker, just in case my 5.1 system had a fault. I cannot get the HDVdeck software top run at all. So far no luck, any ideas. thanks Ian

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-11-03T15:57:50+00:00

    Tried myriads of solutions on net. The only one that really worked was to update the audio driver via web (works well on dell laptops). Anyway, the following links allows you to safely get the file. download the link and run the EXE which creates all the Sigma file. Once it gets successfully installed, then re-boot lapop as suggested and hey presto!!!

    http://download.cnet.com/SigmaTel-High-Definition-Audio-CODEC/3000-2110\_4-173629.html

    hope this advice saves you hours of frustration that I had when figuring out the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-09-12T08:46:35+00:00

    Fresh install (new drive) of Win 7 Hiome Premium 64 bit on Dell XPS 420 Quad Core.  When I launch sound recorder it gives an error that audio recording device cannot be found.  Mic is plugged in front jack.  This worked with Vista.  I enabled show disabled devices and sho disconnected devices.  Any ideas?  I also tried rear mic jack.  I scanned for hardware changes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments