Microphone volume too low

Anonymous
2010-01-27T00:46:44+00:00

I just bought a new Toshiba Satellite L500D, with Windows 7, and I'm having a problem with the microphone volume, in that recorded sound is barely audible.

I followed all the suggested steps on this forum topic: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7music/thread/06582922-0014-4dac-9f74-b63f143fbb8e  ...but nothing fixed it.

It's a built-in microphone and the sound driver is Realtek.  I did a driver update check and it has the latest version.  I have all the microphone volume settings set to maximum, and have tried doing test recordings in both Skype and the Windows Sound Recorder.  They record, but it is extremely low volume, even when I lean closer to the mic and speak loudly.  Various Skype call recipients could barely hear me.  The only thing that records loudly is when I run a finger over the matte plastic of the monitor frame -- that records super loud for some reason.

I welcome any suggestions as soon as possible.  I need my microphone to get work done!

I hope the Microsoft people can remedy this situation as soon as possible, because it's crucial to fix!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-06T17:44:07+00:00

I had this problem for a few weeks, i recently read a forum post telling me to untick the :allow applications to take exclusive control of device:

Well, I found that setting and changed a couple of others, and I think it's fixed it

I went via Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Manage Audio Devices to get to the Sound panel.

I then selected Playback > Speakers > Enhancements and made sure everything was un-checked.

I then selected Playback > Speakers > Advanced and un-checked 'Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device'

I went to Recording > Microphone > Listen and ensured 'Listen to this device' was unchecked.

I went to Levels and ensured the Microphone level was at 100% and the Boost was at +10db

I went into Enhancements and ensured everything was un-checked.

I then into Advanced and un-checked 'Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device'

And finally I went into the Communications tab of the Sound panel, and changed 'When windows detects communications activity' to 'Do nothing'

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-06-12T01:39:19+00:00

    I was having the same problem, and tried everything, until...

    In my control panel I noticed I have 2 microphones when I selected record. I disabled one, and had no sound recording, so I reenabled it. When I disabled the other one, however, it fixed the problem.

    Play with this, and make sure you only have one microphone, or make sure that you are using the correct one for default.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-06-15T16:59:38+00:00

    I have the same problem on an ASUS F5R - has anyone fixed this yet?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-03-31T18:20:20+00:00

    Hello, Azeez.

    I have had this issue with Mic volume being low for quite a while now, I guess since I changed to Windows 7 64bit.

    I thought it was my motherboard, then my microphone, then lately I thought I would try a sound card. So purchased one, and still I have the same issue.

    This is all with Mic boost set to maximum etc. And I have been using computers for many years so know I have not any issues with drivers or settings.

    While looking for answers I have noticed that many people are having these same issues. Over 60,000 hits on some windows 7 forums.

    Here is a link showing how many people have these issues with no cure, all trying everything to fix it.

    http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/26371-microphone-issue-too-quiet-even-max-settings-2.html

    The one thing we all have in common is we are all using Windows 7. Hope you can get the folks there at MS to work on this and get us a cure. It sure will make a lot of us happy.

    Many thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-06-22T17:55:11+00:00

    Hello, Azeez.

    I have exactly same problem and have tried all suggested solutions to no avail. I have realtek card on a 64 bit pc.

    I echo the request for MS to do something!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments