Microphone volume too low

Anonymous
2010-01-27T00:46:44+00:00

I just bought a new Toshiba Satellite L500D, with Windows 7, and I'm having a problem with the microphone volume, in that recorded sound is barely audible.

I followed all the suggested steps on this forum topic: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7music/thread/06582922-0014-4dac-9f74-b63f143fbb8e  ...but nothing fixed it.

It's a built-in microphone and the sound driver is Realtek.  I did a driver update check and it has the latest version.  I have all the microphone volume settings set to maximum, and have tried doing test recordings in both Skype and the Windows Sound Recorder.  They record, but it is extremely low volume, even when I lean closer to the mic and speak loudly.  Various Skype call recipients could barely hear me.  The only thing that records loudly is when I run a finger over the matte plastic of the monitor frame -- that records super loud for some reason.

I welcome any suggestions as soon as possible.  I need my microphone to get work done!

I hope the Microsoft people can remedy this situation as soon as possible, because it's crucial to fix!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-06T17:44:07+00:00

I had this problem for a few weeks, i recently read a forum post telling me to untick the :allow applications to take exclusive control of device:

Well, I found that setting and changed a couple of others, and I think it's fixed it

I went via Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Manage Audio Devices to get to the Sound panel.

I then selected Playback > Speakers > Enhancements and made sure everything was un-checked.

I then selected Playback > Speakers > Advanced and un-checked 'Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device'

I went to Recording > Microphone > Listen and ensured 'Listen to this device' was unchecked.

I went to Levels and ensured the Microphone level was at 100% and the Boost was at +10db

I went into Enhancements and ensured everything was un-checked.

I then into Advanced and un-checked 'Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device'

And finally I went into the Communications tab of the Sound panel, and changed 'When windows detects communications activity' to 'Do nothing'

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-08-15T19:25:52+00:00

    deadly :)

    been through about 15 mics over the years, all low volume including the top of the line microsoft webcams, tried the two pin plug (or rather a modded 3 pin), ...success.

    give it a try and let us know.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-08-15T16:29:12+00:00

    Are you being serious?......

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-08-15T05:46:22+00:00

    just browsin and Im not seeing an answer here.......

    look I get that ppl have different laptops n all but its been a loooong time and now answers r anythin

    plz fix this man! I cant record anything, no music no skype...

    I have windows 7 on an acer

    best,

    jim

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-08-15T05:38:01+00:00

    Azeez,

    Many of these fine people still seem to be having problems with Windows 7 and their mics. Some of the people with external microphones have found solutions. This is excellent. However, those of us (including me) with internal microphones still have issues.

    I have an Acer laptop I purchased in January 2012. It has an AMD A8 in it, 4GB of RAM, and Windows 7 SP1. everything is ---completely--- up to date (including drivers) and otherwise conflict free, as I just formatted the hard drive.

    I am convinced Windows is REDUCING the microphone input for some reason. How do I know? I tried all of the tips and fixes on this forum and on others, and then the mic works as it should for 1 second, then its output becomes very, very quiet again. This happens every single time.

    ELEVATE THIS ISSUE TO SOMEONE WHO WILL FIX IT. We did not pay for Windows 7 (and I've heard Windows 8 is having similar problems) to screw up the microphone so Google Talk, Skype, Facebook Chat, and Audio Recording would not work due to SOFTWARE malfeasance!

    Please respond quickly. This thread has been open for 3.5 YEARS!

    JSR

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments