Microphone volume too low

Anonymous
2010-01-27T00:46:44+00:00

I just bought a new Toshiba Satellite L500D, with Windows 7, and I'm having a problem with the microphone volume, in that recorded sound is barely audible.

I followed all the suggested steps on this forum topic: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7music/thread/06582922-0014-4dac-9f74-b63f143fbb8e  ...but nothing fixed it.

It's a built-in microphone and the sound driver is Realtek.  I did a driver update check and it has the latest version.  I have all the microphone volume settings set to maximum, and have tried doing test recordings in both Skype and the Windows Sound Recorder.  They record, but it is extremely low volume, even when I lean closer to the mic and speak loudly.  Various Skype call recipients could barely hear me.  The only thing that records loudly is when I run a finger over the matte plastic of the monitor frame -- that records super loud for some reason.

I welcome any suggestions as soon as possible.  I need my microphone to get work done!

I hope the Microsoft people can remedy this situation as soon as possible, because it's crucial to fix!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-06T17:44:07+00:00

I had this problem for a few weeks, i recently read a forum post telling me to untick the :allow applications to take exclusive control of device:

Well, I found that setting and changed a couple of others, and I think it's fixed it

I went via Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Manage Audio Devices to get to the Sound panel.

I then selected Playback > Speakers > Enhancements and made sure everything was un-checked.

I then selected Playback > Speakers > Advanced and un-checked 'Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device'

I went to Recording > Microphone > Listen and ensured 'Listen to this device' was unchecked.

I went to Levels and ensured the Microphone level was at 100% and the Boost was at +10db

I went into Enhancements and ensured everything was un-checked.

I then into Advanced and un-checked 'Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device'

And finally I went into the Communications tab of the Sound panel, and changed 'When windows detects communications activity' to 'Do nothing'

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-14T22:34:51+00:00

    On the other hand, like suggested to use 2 pins instead of 3, I start to think if this is so healthy for the capacitors in the long term?  I believe rather in a mini-pre-amplifier.   It can be made with 1 transistor and a few components already.  Part of the output goes to the pin, and part is connected with a parallel capacitor to the ground.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-14T15:05:06+00:00

    I checked it on my tablet to see if it is the same problem there. (Android, with Hi-Q MP3 Recorder), and it works great on my tablet, with the built-in microphone and also with an external microphone with microphone jack connection.  I don´t need to set the input volume to the maximum, it depends, but the result is good.  I may record the audio files on usb stick. 

    I´m planning to experiment with those 2 pins instead of 3.  Just making a short cable with a female and male connection, so that I can still use the microphone jack for PC or tablet. On hobby websites you can find information on how to make a pre-amplifier that works on the 5Volts of your computer.  I´ll post you about the results.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-06-21T08:04:02+00:00

    I tried everything. EVERYTHING within this thread. 

    I also used 1 headset and 1 seperate microphone to test. So no my mics are not broken

    I also used an USB Audio card. Still same issue.

    And please don't start with recording devices settings. I tried every possible combination that menu can offer.

    Things i haven't tried;

    1- Uninstalling Windows 7

    2- Using a USB headset/mic.

    (Audio card realtek)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-19T02:35:22+00:00

    I also installed Realtek Audio Codec I got from this youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEEeI8Zm7AU

    I am using a brand  new Aspire E1-410 with an OS of Linux. I installed windows 7 because it is more user-friendly. I use skype all the time and I got bummed out when I also experienced the low-audio problem.

    I followed the instructions on the youtube video, downloaded the Realtek Codec, waited for 2 hours and installed it. Problem was solved. Hope yours as well. :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments