Microphone volume too low

Anonymous
2010-01-27T00:46:44+00:00

I just bought a new Toshiba Satellite L500D, with Windows 7, and I'm having a problem with the microphone volume, in that recorded sound is barely audible.

I followed all the suggested steps on this forum topic: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7music/thread/06582922-0014-4dac-9f74-b63f143fbb8e  ...but nothing fixed it.

It's a built-in microphone and the sound driver is Realtek.  I did a driver update check and it has the latest version.  I have all the microphone volume settings set to maximum, and have tried doing test recordings in both Skype and the Windows Sound Recorder.  They record, but it is extremely low volume, even when I lean closer to the mic and speak loudly.  Various Skype call recipients could barely hear me.  The only thing that records loudly is when I run a finger over the matte plastic of the monitor frame -- that records super loud for some reason.

I welcome any suggestions as soon as possible.  I need my microphone to get work done!

I hope the Microsoft people can remedy this situation as soon as possible, because it's crucial to fix!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-06T17:44:07+00:00

I had this problem for a few weeks, i recently read a forum post telling me to untick the :allow applications to take exclusive control of device:

Well, I found that setting and changed a couple of others, and I think it's fixed it

I went via Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Manage Audio Devices to get to the Sound panel.

I then selected Playback > Speakers > Enhancements and made sure everything was un-checked.

I then selected Playback > Speakers > Advanced and un-checked 'Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device'

I went to Recording > Microphone > Listen and ensured 'Listen to this device' was unchecked.

I went to Levels and ensured the Microphone level was at 100% and the Boost was at +10db

I went into Enhancements and ensured everything was un-checked.

I then into Advanced and un-checked 'Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device'

And finally I went into the Communications tab of the Sound panel, and changed 'When windows detects communications activity' to 'Do nothing'

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-26T11:26:39+00:00

    TRRS finally , sorry got a cup of coffee :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-26T11:25:49+00:00

    sorry TRRL

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-26T11:14:30+00:00

    After some experiments with Realtec mic booster on Windows8.1, I put booster input volume on maximum. (Windows button-X , Control panel, Sound, Realtec, Microphone. Then you close the booster window.  Then the input volume bar can be put to maximum 60%, otherwise you get a terrible oscillation.  There is an automatic correction in the software that puts the volume to less then halfway if the input volume was too high, to protect the audio card.  In that setting it is only possible to use it with an external (desktop) microphone, otherwise you get echo and oscillation. (If cell phones audio output would be so loud, you would have the same problem).  I tried input with a cheap electret microphone from the electronics shop. I had an audio jack for both mic and audio output, that works with 3+1 Ring (TSSL = Top Ring Ring Sleeve).  The ring closest to the sleeve is the mic input and the sleeve is ground. (But it is not always like that). I tested with audio recorder from windows, with good results.  Dont´t forget, after your recording, to put the mic input boost back to zero, after your recording to prevent oscillation when you plug out from the jack.  Otherwise put the plug back into the jack immediately and adjust the input volume, and then put it out again.  This experiment only works for audio recording with good result.  Electret mics need a current of 1 mA, that seems to be provided from the audio jack.  With small preamp, I had too much oscillation noise from the audio card, (probably the current that feeds the electret mic?) so I use it without preamp.  For skype, you would need a small audio amplifier with a small  external speaker, that you connect to the 2 other rings. At least audio input and output are seperated than.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-15T02:02:38+00:00

    Its possible theres some auto balance of the inputs and outputs. I wouldn't worry about not using all three pins, as most mics tend to use the cheaper two pin cartridges, they just use the 3pin jacks with no wire on the third connector, the 3pin jack and two pin mic are now standard. The 3pin is an old standard that somehow got fed into modern circuits.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments