Windows Update Error: 80080005

Anonymous
2009-04-15T23:58:16+00:00

Hello,

I have done pretty much everything under the sun to try and solve this issue I am having. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium and I'm experiencing this issue of not being able to retreive any Windows Updates. I will say that my family is running on a Linksys router and I have been told that the router does have Norton Software builtin. Could this be the issue? I have gone through numerous tutorials but none of them have resolved my issue!

Also, another family member of mine is using Windows XP and whenever they go to Windows Update, they get lead to Google. I think after researching this issue, we found out that they possibly have a bug of some sort. If anyone on here could please help me out with other possibilites on how to fix these problems or at least mine, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks


Jordan Montgomery

Windows for home | Other | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-04-20T03:00:33+00:00

Hi Jordan,

It is possible that it could be corrupted. Let’s use the System File Checker (SFC) tool to see if it can find any missing or corrupted system files. If so, it will attempt to repair and/or replace them.  Follow these steps to run an SFC scan:

1.       Click Start

2.       In ‘Start Search’ type cmd, then right-click cmd and click Run as administrator (provide administrative credentials if prompted)

3.       At the command prompt type “sfc /scannow” (no quotes), and then press ENTER

When the SFC scan is complete test to see if the issue is resolved.

 I’m also wondering if Norton is playing a part in this issue. Is there any way you can disable it, or better yet uninstall it (if you have the means to reinstall it afterwards). If you do decided to uninstall it, be sure to use the Norton Removal Tool to get rid of any leftover bits and pieces.

We look forward to hearing back from you on your results.


Brian

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-07-19T01:03:29+00:00

    I ran the cmd in admin followed by the sfc /scannow command and I received the following message- Windows Resource Protection Could Not Start The Repair Service.


    I have used Malywarebytes and MS Security Essentials and found no issues.  My last updates were installed in June.  I can't get the update service to work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-07-18T04:52:22+00:00

    the fix did not work.  Do you have another?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2011-04-14T00:31:41+00:00

    I had the same problem: Windows Update displayed error code 80080005.  After trying all the remedies above, eg -FIXIT, Latest Windows Update Agent, deleting update history, etc.... still had the dreaded  error code 80080005.  I had a hunch that the TrustedInstaller.exe file was corrupt so I looked in the "Windows\servicing" folder on another Vista computer, where it is stored. Comparing the files on the other computer,  I noticed the file "CbsMsg.dll" had been deleted from my folder at some point.

     I finally was able to fix the problem by copying the file "CbsMsg.dll" from the other computer to my "C:\Windows\servicing" folder.   Also, I had to take ownership of the "servicing" folder to copy the missing file to it.  I copied the file in a command window using "Run as Administrator" to open the command prompt window.  I think i may have mistakenly quarantined the file when I was trying a new virus detection program, then uninstalled the program.

    Just for fun, to see if I could re-create the error, i went back and renamed my "CbsMsg.dll" file to "CbsMsg.dl_".  Sure enough, the old 80080005 came back when I ran Windows Update from the Start menu.

    Just for more fun, I also renamed the file "CbsApi.dll" as "CbsApi.dl_" in the "Windows\servicing" folder to see if it would give the same error,  and it gave a different error 8007007E instead.  Too much fun...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments