Disable F1,F3, Etc Hotkeys in Windows 7 Enterprise

Anonymous
2009-12-11T23:09:04+00:00

I am trying to figure out if there is some built in way to disable the built in hotkeys in windows 7 enterprise? For instance, when I hit F1 it pops up the help window in windows, or a new tab in firefox with firefox help, f3 opens search window etc. I use these keys for many other things, this is really a problem for me.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-10-29T00:49:07+00:00

IT' actually really simple if You have vista or windows 7. Just in start search bar write "mobility" and look in search results for " Windows mobility center". A window will open. find Fuction key in that and select "Function Key" instead of "multimedia"(or any thing else) and that's it.

  THIS LOCKED MY F1 F2 F3 F4 F5 AND SO ON KEYS. I GOT THIS FROM ANOTHER WEBSITE FROM SOMEONE ELSE THIS SHOULD HELP YOU NIGTHER SMITTER

Was this answer helpful?

80+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-04-05T21:06:23+00:00

    I have the same problem. Most of the games i want to play, use the keys F1 and much more "F". I have for example the bus simulator 2012 game  which requires i use the F keys to adjust the driver sit and i cannot use none of that keys. Because nothing happens or they changes the screen light up or down. It´s so frustating.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-08-13T10:43:52+00:00

    I can assure you all this is not the Windows OS problem. If you are using HP netbook or other models, refer to here to disable it:

    http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01894557&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=3973865&prodTypeId=321957

    ILU AnnoyCow :D

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-06-21T06:02:37+00:00

    Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

    I have been trying to get a solution to this for ages and I still haven't.

    Because W7 64 bit won't run a 16bit install program even though the programs it will install will run on 64 bit and because I cannot get another version I have had to install it in the XP mode on W7 prof. It is a telnet based program that uses F1 a lot and every time I hit F1 W7 pops up the XP mode help screen. This is definitely an MS problem in that W7 thinks the active window is XP mode and not the program running in XP mode.

    I tried the mobility option but when I put mobility into the search bar I didn't get a windows mobility option just a load of documents.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-12-17T15:47:12+00:00

    This solution worked. I can't thank you enough for the Hp link. The route differed slightly due to a different  computer model, but I have my f keys back!!!!

    I am not sure how to bump this thread: total forum noob here, but this needs to go to the top for any World Of Warcraft players as a definite fix!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments