Cannot Backup error 0x81000019. Cannot create shadow copy...

Anonymous
2009-11-21T02:13:45+00:00

I can no longer create backups to my computer. Everytime I try, I receive the same error message.

"A shadow copy could not be created. Pleasse check 'VSS' and 'SPP' application event logs for more information.

Details: Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage file or other shadow copy data." Error code: 0x81000019

I know that it says that there isn't enough space, but that isn't likely. This is a fairly new computer, less than a month old, and the hard drive I'm backing up to has plenty of storage space left (800+ Gb).

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-03-21T20:58:55+00:00

When you backup files on a Windows 7 computer you may receive error 0x81000019 with an error message similar to the following:

"A shadow copy could not be created. Please check the 'VSS' and 'SPP' application event logs for more information. Details: Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage file or other shadow copy data."

This error can happen because of having too many Windows language packs installed on your computer.

The cause is that the Backup process involves the system writer that reports files in the important applications installed on the machine. In the case where a large number of language packs is installed, the metadata file reported by this writer becomes huge in size and does not fit the 100 MB volume. This causes backup to fail since there is not enough space for the shadow copy creation. This is not something that you can check on to validate since this metadata file is created during backup and deleted at the end.

To resolve the issue, uninstall all of the unused language packs that are currently installed on your computer. You can do this by clicking Start, and then typing Lpksetup.exe in the Search box and then clicking Lpksetup.exe in the list of programs. Once the Language Pack installer starts, click Uninstall display languages. Uninstall the languages that you do not use, and then restart your computer and restart the backup.

Bobby

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-04-15T08:20:41+00:00

    For those people who stumble upon this thread and are pulling out their hair thanks to error 0x8100009, I may have a solution that's not as invasive as other procedures found on the net. I have a samsung laptop with both a C and D drive and bought a western digital 2 tb external drive for the express purpose of backing up. When I attempted to create a repair disc, I got the big red X and was told the repair disc could not be created. I fixed that by turning off my internet security. Then when I attempted to run back up I was faced with the dreaded 0x8100009- cannot create a shadow copy blah blah blah. I've spent way too much time looking for solutions from every forum on the net. I tried turning off my security, deleting the language packs and a myriad of other suggestion. I'm an absolute computer noob so if I could do this, anyone with an internet connection and some patience can too. The problem lies in the tiny 100 mb partition which exists as part of drive C. Many of the forums I've glanced at suggested deleting the 100 mb partition completely but then followed that up with scary things like...make sure you have a repair disc handy and prepare to use it up to 3 times! EEEEK screw that. Here's a fix that doesn't require a lot of time or computer savvy. Open your internet browser and look for Windows Partition Wizard, its freeware and only takes a second to download and instal. Once you open the program you'll see a list of all active drives on your computer. Highlight the 100 mb drive and in the menu above select EXTEND. A new window will open and will ask you which drive you want to take space from? Since its part of C, thats obviously where the space will be taken from. Then you'll see a slider in the middle of the window. Simply slide the bar to left to increase the size of 100 mb partition to whatever size you want. However, remember it just contains boot information so you clearly don't require it to be too big. I've read from other forums that you shouldn't extend it anymore than 500 mb so I chose the smallest increment the slider would allow. I moved the bar until the 100 mb partition was projected to be extended to 336mb. I then applied the changes and then a window opened telling me that the system would reboot and the wizard partition would make the desired changes. I held my breathe while the partition wizard did its job. After your computer boots, you'll see a screen from partition wizard that shows the progress. Once the task was completed and my computer booted again I checked disk management and that pesky 100 mb partition was now 336 mb. I immediately went to backup and restore and pressed the backup now button. TA DAH!!!! Backup without a hiccup. I can't stress enough how much of a computer dumb **** I am, so don't be intimidated. It took less than 15 minutes to complete the whole process.

    sorry I thought that I had already responded to you. Your fix worked well for I used ( easeus partition master home edition (free) ) and thanks again Vern.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-04-13T20:40:59+00:00

    For those people who stumble upon this thread and are pulling out their hair thanks to error 0x8100009, I may have a solution that's not as invasive as other procedures found on the net. I have a samsung laptop with both a C and D drive and bought a western digital 2 tb external drive for the express purpose of backing up. When I attempted to create a repair disc, I got the big red X and was told the repair disc could not be created. I fixed that by turning off my internet security. Then when I attempted to run back up I was faced with the dreaded 0x8100009- cannot create a shadow copy blah blah blah. I've spent way too much time looking for solutions from every forum on the net. I tried turning off my security, deleting the language packs and a myriad of other suggestion. I'm an absolute computer noob so if I could do this, anyone with an internet connection and some patience can too.

    The problem lies in the tiny 100 mb partition which exists as part of drive C. Many of the forums I've glanced at suggested deleting the 100 mb partition completely but then followed that up with scary things like...make sure you have a repair disc handy and prepare to use it up to 3 times! EEEEK screw that.

    Here's a fix that doesn't require a lot of time or computer savvy. Open your internet browser and look for Windows Partition Wizard, its freeware and only takes a second to download and instal. Once you open the program you'll see a list of all active drives on your computer. Highlight the 100 mb drive and in the menu above select EXTEND. A new window will open and will ask you which drive you want to take space from? Since its part of C, thats obviously where the space will be taken from. Then you'll see a slider in the middle of the window. Simply slide the bar to left to increase the size of 100 mb partition to whatever size you want. However, remember it just contains boot information so you clearly don't require it to be too big. I've read from other forums that you shouldn't extend it anymore than 500 mb so I chose the smallest increment the slider would allow. I moved the bar until the 100 mb partition was projected to be extended to 336mb. I then applied the changes and then a window opened telling me that the system would reboot and the wizard partition would make the desired changes. I held my breathe while the partition wizard did its job. After your computer boots, you'll see a screen from partition wizard that shows the progress. Once the task was completed and my computer booted again I checked disk management and that pesky 100 mb partition was now 336 mb. I immediately went to backup and restore and pressed the backup now button. TA DAH!!!! Backup without a hiccup. I can't stress enough how much of a computer dumb **** I am, so don't be intimidated. It took less than 15 minutes to complete the whole process.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-04-09T18:42:51+00:00

    I tried your solution.  I only have English language pack installed.  Would a language pack be hidden?  Or, any other solutions?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-03-06T16:14:52+00:00

    march 3 2013

     Hi there I have just read your solution to getting backup in windows7 (error code 0x81000019).Carried out your instuctions and it worked out just great, thanks a lot.    Vern

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments