Cannot Backup error 0x81000019. Cannot create shadow copy...

Anonymous
2009-11-21T02:13:45+00:00

I can no longer create backups to my computer. Everytime I try, I receive the same error message.

"A shadow copy could not be created. Pleasse check 'VSS' and 'SPP' application event logs for more information.

Details: Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage file or other shadow copy data." Error code: 0x81000019

I know that it says that there isn't enough space, but that isn't likely. This is a fairly new computer, less than a month old, and the hard drive I'm backing up to has plenty of storage space left (800+ Gb).

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-03-21T20:58:55+00:00

When you backup files on a Windows 7 computer you may receive error 0x81000019 with an error message similar to the following:

"A shadow copy could not be created. Please check the 'VSS' and 'SPP' application event logs for more information. Details: Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage file or other shadow copy data."

This error can happen because of having too many Windows language packs installed on your computer.

The cause is that the Backup process involves the system writer that reports files in the important applications installed on the machine. In the case where a large number of language packs is installed, the metadata file reported by this writer becomes huge in size and does not fit the 100 MB volume. This causes backup to fail since there is not enough space for the shadow copy creation. This is not something that you can check on to validate since this metadata file is created during backup and deleted at the end.

To resolve the issue, uninstall all of the unused language packs that are currently installed on your computer. You can do this by clicking Start, and then typing Lpksetup.exe in the Search box and then clicking Lpksetup.exe in the list of programs. Once the Language Pack installer starts, click Uninstall display languages. Uninstall the languages that you do not use, and then restart your computer and restart the backup.

Bobby

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-07-07T01:35:38+00:00

    When you backup files on a Windows 7 computer you may receive error 0x81000019 with an error message similar to the following:

    "A shadow copy could not be created. Please check the 'VSS' and 'SPP' application event logs for more information. Details: Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage file or other shadow copy data."

    This error can happen because of having too many Windows language packs installed on your computer.

    The cause is that the Backup process involves the system writer that reports files in the important applications installed on the machine. In the case where a large number of language packs is installed, the metadata file reported by this writer becomes huge in size and does not fit the 100 MB volume. This causes backup to fail since there is not enough space for the shadow copy creation. This is not something that you can check on to validate since this metadata file is created during backup and deleted at the end.

    To resolve the issue, uninstall all of the unused language packs that are currently installed on your computer. You can do this by clicking Start, and then typing Lpksetup.exe in the Search box and then clicking Lpksetup.exe in the list of programs. Once the Language Pack installer starts, click Uninstall display languages. Uninstall the languages that you do not use, and then restart your computer and restart the backup.

    Bobby

    Thanks Bobby, worked for me.

    cookeydownunder.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-01-07T04:56:04+00:00

    When I was running Windows 7,  I had the error message that a 'shadow copy could not be made...and check VSS & SPP, ", etc.  I never was able to get a back up copy.

    Got the Windows 10 update and the same message is still  there when trying to back up.  AS "Bobby" recommended I went into "Lpksetup.exe" to uninstall other languages.  Only English is installed.  Any suggestions what I need to do to get a backup using Windows 10?

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-04-19T04:07:06+00:00

    Thank you, Ramesh!

    This worked to cure this problem for me:

    Step 2: Restart the Volume Shadow Copy

    ========================

    1. Click on the "Start" Button, type "services.msc" in the search bar and press "Enter".
    2. Right click on " Volume Shadow Copy service ".
    3. Select “Automatic” in "Startup Type"
    4. Click on "Start" button.
    5. After restarting the Service successfully, please test the issue again.

    Thank you, thank you.  This worked perfectly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-11-21T23:33:39+00:00

    I checked both of those out, but they didn't solve my problem. The drive I'm using is a 1Tb NTFS external drive, connected by USB. Can you create backups on a protected drive. I had previously done backups on that drive, but after I upgraded to ultimate, I used the BitLocker drive encryption on that drive. Might that have something to do with it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments